Bloody Cold this morning!!

redddraggon
redddraggon Posts: 10,862
edited December 2007 in Commuting chat
I had four layers on and arrived at work without having really warmed up.

Plenty of proper thick ice and some sneaky black ice out there, but I didn't have any mishaps.

I actually contemplated going on the bus this morning because of the ice, but this morning went rather well, no idiots in cars doing silly things.
I like bikes...

Twitter
Flickr

Comments

• One of the things I love about this weather is the looks from people as you ride by them scraping ice off their cars. I think I'm into work before they can see thorugh their windscreens!
    You hear that? He's up there... mewing in the nerve centre of his evil empire. A ground rent increase here, a tax dodge there? he sticks his leg in the air, laughs his cat laugh... and dives back down to grooming his balls!
  • Panter
    Panter Posts: 299
    It did seem very cold here this morning. there didn't seem to be much of a frost but I felt my ears were going to snap off on the downhill sections :lol:

Mind you, when I got nearer to work a lot of the parked cars did look very glassy :shock:

Cheers

Chris :)
    Racing snakes. It's not big, and it's not clever ;)
  • DavidTQ
    DavidTQ Posts: 943
    not too bad here about -1 so im still in shorts, starting to think about a buff. Really need to get myself some new gloves though, the current ones are nowhere close to warm enough...
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    I wimped out this morning and came on the bus. Didn't want to slip on ice and kill myself. :cry:
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • Yep, this morning was the first one this winter where I hadn't fully warmed up by the time I arrived at work. Traffic seemed to be very heavy too which didn't help.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    One of the things I love about this weather is the looks from people as you ride by them scraping ice off their cars. I think I'm into work before they can see thorugh their windscreens!

Yeah but the problem is they also get to work before they can see properly through their windscreens :? :(:(:cry:
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Adamskii
    Adamskii Posts: 267
    Has to be the coldest day so far this winter, I resorted to using my thermal base layer and it worked a treat. I need something for my feat though as my toes have only just thawed!

The traffic was a nightmare due to the cold, lots of people were late for work. Except me that is :)

A few patches of Ice to be avoided and made sure I took the round-a-bouts as show as possible. All good though.
    It's all good.
  • Was certain brisk in Glasgow when I set off this morning (7am) but didn't seem particularly icy here - suspect the east coast was worse. Will need to be investing in warm weather clothing with any Christmas money - buff and full-finger gloves top of the list ;)
    mrBen

"Carpe Aptenodytes"
    JediMoose.org
  • Belv
    Belv Posts: 866
    I dressed the same as usual 'cept for the buff folded double over my mouth. Was running late so i knew i'd have to turn up the wick a bit.

Got a cold nose!
  • janm399
    janm399 Posts: 132
    Never mind cold nose, it's the ears and fingers that were killing me this morning. Yes, it was my mistake, I only took my autumn gloves.

Still, all that bright and crispy weather cheered up all drivers and no one tried to kill or maim me.

I am dreading the ride home at 7, right after a hard spinning class. Ugh!
    Computer geek, Manchester Wheelers' member since 2006
  • Adamskii
    I don't seem to be able to find any gloves that will cope with below 0 degree temperatures + factoring the -20 degree wind chill. I've had to tape up the seems on the finger tips to try and reduce wind chill but it doesn't work!
    It's all good.
  • Belv
    I've said it before and i'll say it again:
    Cheap motorbike gloves are ideal for winter. Usually found in a 'bargain bucket' at any motorbike dealer for about a tenner.
  • Adamskii
    The problem with cheap motorbike gloves is they make it harder to feel the brakes and change gear. I used to have a pair of Neoprene gloves that made your hands sweat but were very warm. I'm on the hunt for a new pair.
    It's all good.
  • I love the cold, feel like a real hard man (even though I am a wimp) and love testing the buke skills on ice.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    As i live in the Netherlands our weather does vary slightly from the U.K. A few weeks ago i set off to go to work, not really taking much notice of how cold it was, bloody hell was i in for a shock,My summer cycle mitts(no fingers) and summer cap, rode the usual 16Kms to my workplace, as i arrived at work the giant LED screen showed 07.01AM and 2 ° centigrade, my frigging fingers were throbbing, eyes watering and had to send a search party to luck for my nudger, there was almost nothing left of it. Have since decided to check the weathervia internet each morning before leaving for work, a painful lesson. Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • I nearly wimped again this morning but I have a 14 year old who leaves the house at the same to do his paper round every morning wthout a word of complaint. I can't bare the look I get if I'm going in the car.

It was cold around Cambridge - as Wiggle have delivered my new buff yet (come on boys I ordered it last night what's taking you!!) I found that a thick hand towle works well also. That and a base layer, T-shirt, jumper and jacket, bib-tights, trackiesand two pairs of wollen socks just about kept me warm.

Came my closest to dying on the way home. Lady aome out of a side street and did not see me. I braked hard and skidded; back wheel started coming round but I managed to hold it and avoid her. I did n't realise I had that much skill. I think she had to stop a few yeards up the road either to compose herself or let me get some distance ???!!!???

looking forward to tomorrow butI think it will be a tad warmer.

David
  • First time on the bike in ages this morning, was bloomin cold, as I haven't been on the bike for a couple of months wasn't surprised my journey took 20% longer to complete. I did'nt slow for the conditions - was solely down to my lack of fitness/oxygen etc.

Smiled to myself when I got into the back yard at work, I could barely stand up due to the ice!!
  • pst88
    I don't know if i wanna risk the ice tomorrow or wimp out again. I guess i'll see how brave/reckless I feel in the morning. :?
  • ....and it looks like it's gonna be even colder tomorrow !!!!!!!!!

D
  • They sell buffs in a lot of motorbike shops if anyone wants to buy one.
  • After a full week of getting soaked last week I wasn't sure I actually preferred the cold this morning but wore thick winter gloves another layer over my base layer and the longest shorts I have to try and keep the cold out.....although I don't mind what whether I gotta admit I am looking forward to getting over the winter.

I think some better clothing would sort me out to be honest.
  • Panter
    Panter Posts: 299
    ademort wrote:
    had to send a search party to luck for my nudger, there was almost nothing left of it. Ademort

:lol:

I drove in this morning :oops: I must admit the cold doesn't bother me that much but I don't want to slide on ice and end up under a car on the dual carrigeway.

As a newb this is my first Winter riding so I need to build some skills first 8)

Cheers

Chris :)
    Racing snakes. It's not big, and it's not clever ;)
  • try windstopper fabric. It is quite thin but really warm, even when wet. I have skiied in pair and cycle all winter in them. Only problemi si not cycling specific and so not padded. Now cold feet is a different matter. I am not a fan of the over boots cos they scratch the crank arm. Poor excuse but its only 2 months of the year when I really suffer, and the toe covers make it bearable.

Andy
  • Belv
    Brrrrrrr! Coldest day of the year here.
    Had to use the tweezers to pee when i got to work.
  • But what a blast! Once I'd warmed up it was fantastic. Blue skies and frost on the grass. Fantastic. :D
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I must admit I procrastinated a bit longer than normal before leaving the house this morning. Once I got out and got warmed up it wasn't all that bad, but it's certainly the coldest day yet. I certainly felt warmer than the poor sods I saw clearing their windscreens looked!

There's a really heavy frost here, but the roads have been gritted so I didn't come across anything too icy or slippery looking.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,583
    I definitely prefer the cold to the rain!

Coldest morning so far though today, but my overtrousers, and my new Berghaus (£25 bargain) jacket had it's first outing, and performed admirably - togterh with my bargain £9.99 661 gloves too, I was comparitively toasty.

Helped it's not very windy today.

Cycling past people, as has already been mentioned, scraping their windscreens/side windows, is rather amusing though - I do remember when that used to be me though, but then I did have an 80 mile trip to work.

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Thankfully I've got my winter gear pretty much sorted now so cold and rain don't concern me too much - the only thing that makes me feel like wimping is when I wake up and hear a gale howling through the trees... *shudder*

I recommend ski gloves for keeping the fingers toasty - I got a nice Gore-Tex pair from TK Maxx for fifteen quid, lovely. They are a wee bit thick for gear changing etc. but it's easier than trying to do it with frozen fingers!

Neoprene overshoes to keep the tootsies snug, a polar buff in what I think of as "Ninja Balaclava" mode (polar fabric over the head, thinner stuff over the mouth and nose) and clingfilm over the helmet vents - snug as a chav in a hatchback. :D
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • Despite it actually being some degrees colder than yesterday, it didn't feel quite so cold, as yesterday was also damp, even patches of black ice out here in the sticks. Ride in was very enjoyable, sun was just rising over the forest which looked awesome, bet the cagers never even saw it.
    weather forecast looks like more of the same for this week, Hurrah! Don't mind the cold, hate the rain though.
    I was a bit of a "man at Aldi" this morning. Aldi winter cycling gloves, overshoes, and winter jacket, Plus, Buff (normal Buff, I have a Polar version but didn't think it warranted it this morning) helly hanson thermal, Giodani top, and winter tights.

10 more days, and the days start to draw out, and it will be summer before you know it.
    If you see the candle as flame, the meal is already cooked.
    Photography, Google Earth, Route 30
  • pst88
    edited December 2007
    After put it off Monday and Tuesday I decided to bite the bullet and cycle in today. It's my first time cycling in frost/ice so I took it cautiously. The journey was surprisingly pleasant. People on the roads seemed nicer to me today, letting me out, not trying to drive into me etc. Maybe they actually had their eyes open for once seems as it's a bit icy.

I wasn't too cold. Was just wearing jeans, longsleeve cycling jersey, waterproof/windproof jacket and full finger gloves. My toes still got a little bit cold despite wearing 2 pairs of socks. Don't think I'll actually be able to get my shoes on if I go for 3 pairs!! Other than that all that got cold was my face. Maybe I'll invest in a buff one of these days.