beginners ten mile time/average speed

feel
feel Posts: 800
edited December 2007 in Road beginners
I have a ten mile coure near me that is straight roads, just a few left turns so shouldn't have to stop, and it starts and finishes on opposite sides of the road. Have the day off tomorrow so will have a go at it as the weather looks as if it should be fine.

Find yourself a route and post your time or average speed.
We are born with the dead:
See, they return, and bring us with them.

Comments

• Ashley_R
    Ashley_R Posts: 408
    They say anything under 30 minutes is a good start to aim for, obviously depends on your level of fitness, don't worry, you'll soon become obsessed and spend your life savings on anything to desperately reduce your time by seconds! :wink:

Out of interest, where exactly is the course? I ride a few around the county, the course can make a big difference to your time
    You can lead an elephant to water but a pencil must be lead
  • Funnily enough I just did my first 10 mile TT this morning. I made it in 35.30 at an average speed of 16.4.

Watch this space!
    The scent of these arm-pits is aroma finer than prayer
  • Adamskii
    Adamskii Posts: 267
    10 miles in under 30 minutes! :shock:

Isn't that quite good? I've been doing the same 10 mile strech for 18 months and the best time I've ever done is just under 34 mins. It's not at all flat though.
    It's all good.
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    Under 30 minutes is good, especially if there is any trafic around. My 10 mile route crosses a railway line, the gates are only ever down when I'm on a good time :( My best times are around 26 minutes, but it did take a long time to get there.
  • Just picking my first road bike up this week, and I was going to try for 40 mins, as a start. Then aim to get as close to 35, before the summer starts. Do you think this is realistic.
  • ras_undy wrote:
    Just picking my first road bike up this week, and I was going to try for 40 mins, as a start. Then aim to get as close to 35, before the summer starts. Do you think this is realistic.
    I think you may surprise yourself in a week or two. Goodluck
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Are these elapsed times or 'cycling' times?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I reckon I get just under 30mins on a flat course with no stopping.........however it isn't flat where I live....and the only flat(ish) section has loads of traffic lights.

I normally do about a poor 45mins up hills and navigating traffic.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • feel
    Ashley_R wrote:
    Out of interest, where exactly is the course? I ride a few around the county, the course can make a big difference to your time
    )

The route i do is - start on the Seagrave turn of the A46 (north of Leicester) head north to Six Hills, slip off left and left again to turn under the A46 on the B676, turn left on to A6006 which takes you back to the A46, turn left on to the A46 and down to the Thrussington turn off. For a full 10 miles start a couple of hundred yard down the seagrave road and finish a couple of hundred yards down the Thrussington turn or go a bit past the Thrussington turn still on the A46. I avoid rush hour times so there is not too much traffic and i find using a smart flashing rear light encourages drivers to be a little more considerate when passing.

I did it this morning and averaged 17.8 mph or 33'42" conditions were pretty good with only a light wind but i was a little bit slow on some of the corners because i was worried about it being slippy as the puddles were still frozen.
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    Don't be disappointed if you fail to get anywhere near 30 minutes at this time of year, you'll do really well to get near 30 minutes, let alone under as the cold weather tends to slows you down.
  • feel
    ras_undy wrote:
    Just picking my first road bike up this week, and I was going to try for 40 mins, as a start. Then aim to get as close to 35, before the summer starts. Do you think this is realistic.

When i got my first proper road bike earlier in the year i was vey pleasantly surprised that it made me a lot faster. My BMI has me firmly in the overweight category so unless you are the same i would think that your targets are very realistic and you will rapidly see improvements on your early times. Good luck.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Don't be disappointed if you fail to get anywhere near 30 minutes at this time of year, you'll do really well to get near 30 minutes, let alone under as the cold weather tends to slows you down.

Glad it's not just me. I usually average about 16 mph on rides upto about 30 miles, but I've noticed my average down to about 14-114.5 at the moment. I actually think it's the downhills and bends, I'm taking them a lot slower than in the summer through fear of falling off!
  • Adamskii
    My BMI is 20, I'm 11 stone 6lb with 12% body fat and a resting heart rate of 55bpm. I can only acheive 17.5mph (according to my speedo) on my 10 mile run to work. Somethings not right. :cry:

New bike in the spring me thinks.
    It's all good.
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    Adamskii wrote:
    My BMI is 20, I'm 11 stone 6lb with 12% body fat and a resting heart rate of 55bpm. I can only acheive 17.5mph (according to my speedo) on my 10 mile run to work. Somethings not right. :cry:

New bike in the spring me thinks.
    Do you often have to stop along the way for traffic lights ect? Stops kill your average speed.

My average speed tends to vary between 17mph and 19.5mph depending on which route I take and on what the traffic is like and also on the condition of the road, smooth tarmac road is my friend.
  • Adamskii
    Going on a 'steady' club ride this Sunday (my first one) so I'll see if it's traffic lights that affect my average speed or the fact that I'm just slow!
    It's all good.
  • Foz72
    Foz72 Posts: 81
    I tried this back on quite a cold day in October. Found a flat and fairly quiet triangle, just over 5 miles. Rode round twice, very gently, measured 10 mile cut-off mark as best as I could. Took off one layer, had some energy drink, took every non-essential off the (Trek Pilot) bike etc etc

Took 31.08. Think I paced it about right but was pretty much spent at the end. Bike isn't ideal and certainly neither am I but nice to have an achievable spring target only 69 seconds away.
  • Ashley_R
    Ashley_R Posts: 408
    feel wrote:
    Ashley_R wrote:
    )

The route i do is - start on the Seagrave turn of the A46 (north of Leicester) head north to Six Hills, slip off left and left again to turn under the A46 on the B676, turn left on to A6006 which takes you back to the A46, turn left on to the A46 and down to the Thrussington turn off. For a full 10 miles start a couple of hundred yard down the seagrave road and finish a couple of hundred yards down the Thrussington turn or go a bit past the Thrussington turn still on the A46. I avoid rush hour times so there is not too much traffic and i find using a smart flashing rear light encourages drivers to be a little more considerate when passing.

I did it this morning and averaged 17.8 mph or 33'42" conditions were pretty good with only a light wind but i was a little bit slow on some of the corners because i was worried about it being slippy as the puddles were still frozen.

Good effort for your first attempt!

I've not done that course, think its the Leicester Road Clubs route, I do use the Six Hills one, starting and finishing on the A46 by the Durham Ox going up to the Melton roundabout and back

Not wanting to put a dampner on things, but are you sure it was 10 miles? I thought the start point was about half a mile back opposite Seagrave golf club entrance. They used to use the slip road as the start and finish down the bottom of the hill near Thrussington, meant you had a very steep downhill for the last half mile or so, 40+ mph all the way!! :P

Roll on next summers TT season, getting real withdrawl symptons now!
    You can lead an elephant to water but a pencil must be lead
  • hambones
    hambones Posts: 407
    songwriter
    Funnily enough I just did my first 10 mile TT this morning. I made it in 35.30 at an average speed of 16.4.

Watch this space!

Where did you do this run Songwriter?? Was it on the E64 course along the A414??
    Still breathing.....
  • webbhost
    webbhost Posts: 470
    My 10.04 Mille route record is currently 36.09 with an average speed of 16.6

The route has 13 possible stop areas (junctions that I have to give way or traffic lights etc), and has a very steep and long hill. (followed by a 38 MPH Decent when I come back down weeeeeeee)

I'd consider myself fit and I weighed 9.8 stone at the time (I'm slightly less now weee)

If you can beat 35 minutes I'd say well done mate and a pat on the back!

Not always easy to compare through, depends on the bike. Are we talking entry level or £2-6000 bike
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    I WILL beat 30 minutes this year. Done it in the past, and will do it again! :lol:
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • hambones wrote:
    songwriter
    Funnily enough I just did my first 10 mile TT this morning. I made it in 35.30 at an average speed of 16.4.

Watch this space!

Where did you do this run Songwriter?? Was it on the E64 course along the A414??
    Hey, I went round Harlow at 5am and had the roads to myself-ish. It was excactly 10 miles. Fancy a race? :D
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    I did a 17.2 avg speed over 11.6 miles this week (no more than -/+2-4deg gradient roughly) - that was the first part of a longer ride - it's suprising though how "quickly" your avg can come down from an "initial" 20-ish down to 17's at 10-15m then down to 14-15's at 30-35m - that's with traffic lights, wind, rain, injury & 30 sec stops etc, though.
  • feel
    Ashley_R wrote:
    feel wrote:
    Ashley_R wrote:

Good effort for your first attempt!

I've not done that course, think its the Leicester Road Clubs route, I do use the Six Hills one, starting and finishing on the A46 by the Durham Ox going up to the Melton roundabout and back

Not wanting to put a dampner on things, but are you sure it was 10 miles? I thought the start point was about half a mile back opposite Seagrave golf club entrance. They used to use the slip road as the start and finish down the bottom of the hill near Thrussington, meant you had a very steep downhill for the last half mile or so, 40+ mph all the way!! :P

Roll on next summers TT season, getting real withdrawl symptons now!

You are right there is a club that use that route in the summer and they do start towards the golf club.
    I calculate my time afterwards from my average speed at the approx end of the ten miles, as this is when i am travelling at about 22/23 mph past the end of the slip road as it joins the A46 if i clock it too early i am shortchanging myself as this is when my average speed is on the up.

BTW it is the 4th time i've tried this route - hoping to do an average of 20 mph in the summer if i can shift some weight :oops:
  • average time for my commute to work (in the dry!!!) is about 29mins.The fastest time was just over 26mins.I hit every set of traffic lights on green, it's never happened since. :cry: Ave speed17.5mph. Ave Bpm 149.I know this isn't really accurate but I wouldn't be able convince the wife that i need a power output monitor :lol:
    dsc00020qd8.th.jpg
  • doing your first 10 is daunting but you have to start somewhere, is it possible to a 10 course which is used by your local club where there would be no lights on the course. i remember my first ten it was 32 minutes, i was chuffed.
  • ARob
    ARob Posts: 143
    30 mins is pretty good. interesting re time of year as have noticed speed drop by few mph also, someone said re stops, i'm a total anarac about these things and have worked out 8 seconds more time is about 0.1 less ave mph. every stop is means about 20-30 seconds extra time in slowing down and speeding up so on a 10 mile course a stop is worth 0.3 ish off your average speed.

hence going anti-clockwise is a good plan so you get left turns not right
  • For me, at 44 years old, weighing in at 123 kilos now, (127 kilos on first ride, 19st 10lbs in old money) on a flat road i did 10 mile in 40 mins, and i was bloody chuffed, as well as knackered.
    My best time as a youth, weighing less than 9 st (pre decimal) was a 24:10.

But today i think i can ride like i did 26 years ago, but i am double the weight.

So i reckon 40 mins for the fat bloke wasnt bad.

Ask me the same question this time next year, with weight down, speed up and miles in the legs!!!
    Just a fat bloke on a bike
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    I'm 42 and do a ten mile urban, then hilly circuit in about 43-45 mins.

If I do an "easy ten" 35 minutes easy!

I tend to do a 30 miler in 2 hours.

I'm happy with that.

I just do it to clear my head and stay reasonably fit, I'm not over bothered by average speeds
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    i started off doing similar times, nowadays i can average 21mph for a ten mile loop that's fairly flat. did bow-brighton in the summer, around 68 miles or so, averaged a tiny bit under 18mph. was very happy about that, seemed to take 3 and 3/4 hours.
  • hambones
    hambones Posts: 407
    What constitutes a beginner?? :?: :?:
    Still breathing.....