what gear ratios

ARob
ARob Posts: 143
edited December 2007 in Road beginners
some ofthe hills round here are quite steep (to me anyway!) around 15-20%, but usualy quite short (i think they call them 'rolling' in the tourist blurb), e.g. Goudhurst hill which was a climb on the TDF route through Kent this year is not untypical.

i only have 8 gears on the back and am reasonably fit. i have 53/39 on the front but what would be a reasonable range on the back? at the moment i have 12/25 but feels too high on the steeper bits. my LBS suggested 12/28 but would this be too big a range on an 8 speed? or do i just need to peddle harder!

Comments

• rdaviesb
    rdaviesb Posts: 566
    Shove a compact (50/34) on the front to give you a bit more leeway. Big gears don't make great cyclists. No point in doing it if you can't get up the hard bits. Point in case. I'm runninng 46/28 on the front currently, with a 13/26 block, and no-one is dropping me.
  • willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    second vote for a compact

I had a 52/42 with a 12-28 on a 8 speed

Quickly changed to a 50/34 and what a difference, I dont spin out on the 50,and going up some nastyhills like you mentioned doesnt kill me!
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    Not a big fan of Compacts but looks the obvious thing to do. If you have a double you probably have a short reach rear mech and that may struggle with a 28 rear.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • ARob
    ARob Posts: 143
    thanks all ! will do that and see what happens (or just maybe it willl work out more cost effective to get a new bike....)
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    I'd vote for a Compact aswell, although I did it a slightly different way by using an 11-32 on the back (my budget roadie came with "MTB-ish" Rear-mech) with a 53/39 on the front - I did originally try 39-28 as a low gear but after 35 miles with a knee injury I need something to have an easier "5 minutes" etc and the 39/32 is that little bit more easier on the knee.

But back to the Compact idea, yeah, on short runs you possibly might not need it but on longer ones, the bail out gear will give you a rest if need be and certainly lessen the stress on the uphill after you've got substantial miles in the legs.