numb bum!

ARob
ARob Posts: 143
edited December 2007 in Road beginners
help please!

i'm trying to get fit enough to do my first low level sportive in april. i;m really pleased with how its gonig well and i can do 40-50 miles ok now. the limiting factor isn't my legs or general tiredness but my bum! after 30 miles or so i need to stand and stretch of even get off the bike some rides.

i'm using proper cycling shorts and even padded under shorts. so what is the most likely cause, saddle angle? sadle type? generally being a woose?

(also any tips on how to come up with better reasons for not doing the hovering would be great - my bum aches too much gets less sympathy than you might hope!)

Comments

• a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    Ive just bought a specialized toupe, soooooooo much more comfy than the selle italia that i had before.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Hi, it may simply be that your saddle is not the right one for you, of course there is no easy answer as everyone is different and will recommend their favourite, mine is a "San Marco Rolls".
    Alternatively you might have a too upright riding position with too much weight on your bum and too little on your arms. Try adjusting the saddle forward a bit and level or slightly down at the front.
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • Bum ache - there are so many sorts :?

just where? back or 'front'? Dull numbness or knifesharp agony? Are you very heavy?

Don't start changing everything without first measuring up and writing down where the saddle etc is now! So if you make things worse you can get back to where you are at least!

A broader saddle might help. See if you can borrow one to try.

Shifting around a bit also helps. Change hand/body/bum position regularly to releive pressure whilst cycling.
  • brucey72
    brucey72 Posts: 1,086
    Make sure your seat is level using a spirit level would be my first suggestion. My seat was out of level slightly and it made an unbeleivable difference to my comfort over distance when a member of my local club suggested this. I would also highly recommend the fizik arione saddle.