cycle to work scheme

andyrs2k16v
andyrs2k16v Posts: 14
edited December 2007 in Road beginners
I was talking to a person inthe club yesterday and he bought his bike through a cycle to work scheme , where the company buys the bike and the company is able to get back the vat and you pay for it out of your wages every month. You can save upto 50% off the price of a bike. Just wondering if any one as bought there bike this way.

Comments

• There's quite a few people who post here who have bought a bike through the cycle2work scheme. The bike selection depends on the scheme with the Halfords scheme probably giving the widest selection as they can acquire most of the main brand bikes for you. Don't expect to get a bike quickly though, I first inquired about the scheme at work in September, applied to join in October and finally ordered my bike last week. I've ordered a planet-x superlight pro which will cost me about £50 per month for a year instead of the normal £1000. You have to spend at least 50% of your time on the bike commuting and I plan to use it to commute so that's not a problem. The bike remains property of the company until the end of the year, so you would be receive a big deduction from your final salary if you decided to leave.

It has many limitations but I think the benfits outweigh the negatives.

FCN : 4
  • I bought my bike through the C.T.W. scheme. Works out that you save about 35% on the retail price. My employer put a cap on the spend of 1000, and anything over that price was paid as a deposit. Also at the end of the "lease " period your employer will charge you a nominal amount, so the bike will be your own. Push them for the best deal you can and try not to let them just opt for any old bike shop.Hope this helps.
    dsc00020qd8.th.jpg
  • I think it depends which company you use as I was very happy with the speed at which my bike came. My company uses Wheelies Direct, I rang them up and asked if I could have any bike, even a one that wasn't on their website, they said yes so I ordered it and a week later I got a call asking if I would be in the next day as that's when it was being delivered.
    Tarpaullynn
  • Adamskii
    Adamskii Posts: 267
    I'm looking to do the same and it is taking a long time to get organised. I'm the first to want to do this at my place of work, HR hadn't heard of it and seem reluctant to process the paper work. I do wonder if it's worth it especially if you leave within 12 months.
    It's all good.
  • Our Schme has just cosed for this year, howver, picking my bike through it this week. Only took a week, from filling in the forms to get the voucher.
  • Adamski,
    fill in the form on the Evans home page and that will give you an idea of costings/savings etc...if you want all the jargon it's available through the Department of Transport web-site, I think!!!!. Good luck
    dsc00020qd8.th.jpg