Turbo trainers

Smokin Joe
Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
edited December 2007 in Road beginners
I hate the bloody things.

However, they can be very useful if you are concentrating on particular aspects of your riding. For example, if you are trying to increase your cadance it is much easier to develop the habit on a turbo where you can ride at a constant rpm for a decent period of time without having your rythym broken by on-road distractions like changes in gradient and other traffic.

In fact, I have been thinking of putting the roller back on mine (it has served as a maintainance stand for a decade) to do just that.

Comments

• Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    Don't know anything of the two models you've mentioned but I recently bought a Tacx T1435 Sirius Softgel.
    I paid £115 from Wiggle but they're now doing them for £104.

Its nowt like riding on the road but what it has done is got me on the bike on days when I've looked out of the window and thought "sod that for a lark".

Oh, it has also enabled me to watch films I've not seen in a while or listen to an album that was gathering dust.

I recently had gastric flu and while I didn't feel capable of going out on the bike my turbo did let me spin for a bit and the toilet was within easy reach. :wink:
    If I hadn't had the trainer, until this morning, I'd of gone 9 days without venturing out on a bike. In that respect I think it was a worthwhile investment.