What counts as a century?

nasahapley
nasahapley Posts: 717
edited December 2007 in Road beginners
I realise there's not really a right or wrong answer to this, but was wondering if there's a general consensus amongst forum-goers -

If you cycle 50 miles, have a cafe stop, and then cycle another 50, does this count as a 'century'? I'm inclined to think of this as two 50 mile rides rather than a single 100 miler; but I'd also guess that not many people share that view!

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Most organised 'century' rides feature refreshment stops so why shouldn't yours? Besides, it's often pretty difficult to carry enough food and drink for a 5-6hr ride, so a stop is a practical necessity.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • i class it as, in my case home to home with a short food / drink stop, as ithats where i measure from. stopping for food and drink is ok as , mentioned above, carrying enough drink fro 100 miles can be difficult.
    i usually go by these rules where 100 mile rides are concerned
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12517565.
  • ash68
    ash68 Posts: 320
    yep, agree with the above posts.Only thing I would add, is that the stops have to be away from your own home and shouldn't last too long. i.e. refreshments/ piss stop :roll: and then back onto the bike. No two hour breaks etc. :lol:
  • I thought that would be the general view. What got me thinking was the 'Century a Month Challenge' over on the road rides section of the forum; the rules there say cafe stops are fine but stopping at your house isn't. I would expect that most would agree that stopping at home isn't on (as do I), but stopping at a cafe is fine; I don't see the difference if all you're doing is refueling.

I always use a 3-litre camelbak on longer rides; it's designed for MTBs but does the job a treat! That's another thing - why don't roadies use camelbaks?!
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    I wouldn't carry anything on my back, too uncomfortable.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    It would, as other members have pointed out, be very difficult to carry enough supplies to do
    100 miles without stopping It would also be very foolish to try and eat and drink while still riding and to be able to keep your eyes safely on the road.Imo a stop around 50 miles eat, drink, toilet and quick check of the bike is all part of your 100 miler. ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • ademort wrote:
    It would, as other members have pointed out, be very difficult to carry enough supplies to do
    100 miles without stopping It would also be very foolish to try and eat and drink while still riding and to be able to keep your eyes safely on the road.Imo a stop around 50 miles eat, drink, toilet and quick check of the bike is all part of your 100 miler. ademort

I've ridden 200k (125 mile) Audaxes without stopping and carried plenty of grub - in a thing called a saddlebag! Didn't use modern sports foods and drinks either - just water, sandwiches and bananas.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Anytime I ride 100 miles it's a "century" to me. Not that I keep track of them, but there
    are more than a few days during the summer that I feel good and go for it.

Dennis Noward
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    100 is 100. Breaks are allowed. Besides somebody could do a century without a break but at a snails pace.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    ademort wrote:

Can't agree with that. Anyone with decent bike handling skills should be able to eat and drink whilst riding.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Garybee wrote:
    ademort wrote:

Can't agree with that. Anyone with decent bike handling skills should be able to eat and drink whilst riding.

I don't think I could eat and drink and cycle all at the same time.....perhaps if you are good at cycling no handed.......
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    Garybee wrote:
    ademort wrote:

I think it depends whether you are using cutlery on not.

I've done a 112 mile race, and only put my feet down twice, both times avoiding fallen riders. It is possible, but I think the adrenalin of a big race helped, along with extra large water bottles and closed roads.

The question for me is do you count the stationary time? Yes as far as I'm concerned, you can't take the 20 mins in the cafe off the overall time.