MoTD - Female Football Commentator

Captain Fagor
Captain Fagor Posts: 739
edited December 2007 in Campaign
Watching Match of the Day a few minutes ago, I hadn't realised that women are infiltrating the world of football commentary.

NOOoooOOOoooooo!!!! It's just wrong! NNNnnOooOOoOOoOooo!

If she wants to commentate on women's football, then fine. But not men's football. She might be knowledgeable (and probably is, certainly more than me anyway), but that doesn't make it any easier to listen to, as she shreiks and wails her way through the match.

:x

<rant over>

What do you lot think?

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    It was the Everton Match that she commentated on.

MOTD never treat Everton fairly, normally one of the last ones on, and now they make us suffer high pitched commentary from a women.

It just doesn't sound right, sounds rather amateur.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    what difference does it make if male/female/ transexual or black/white or tall/small or fat or thin?

all that matters is how good are they at their job.
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • spen666 wrote:
    what difference does it make if male/female/ transexual or black/white or tall/small or fat or thin?

I was only interested in the first two options. Let's not get distracted by others.

Listening to a shrieking woman commentating on football detracts from my enjoyment of the occasion. As I watch football to be entertained, I'd rather female commentators weren't involved. This may not be politically correct, but it is the way I feel.
    spen666 wrote:
    all that matters is how good are they at their job.

That's your opinion. Feel free to vote accordingly.

Lastly, spen666, the poll was supposed to have an element of humour in it. Thus the unfair skewing of options. I didn't intend for it to turn into a serious debate on sexual equality in the workplace.
  • Rob Sallnow
    Rob Sallnow Posts: 6,279
    It's not exactly news, Jacqui Oatley has been commentating for Match Of The Day since towards the end of last season and before that was on Radio 5 reporting from matches....it's different, obviously the pitch goes way up when a goal is scored or it's a near miss but there are plenty of other football commentators that get on my nerves at times...I think it's Mike Ingham on Radio 5 when excited sounds like he's sat on the toilet with constipation.

And yes Jacqui Oatley does qualify as 'a looker'.

jacqui_oatley.jpg
    I'd rather walk than use Shimano
  • spen666

Lastly, spen666, the poll was supposed to have an element of humour in it. Thus the unfair skewing of options. I didn't intend for it to turn into a serious debate on sexual equality in the workplace.

How about polls on banning blacks or irish from commentating then?
    Or what about banning Gays from commentating?

All of these things are equally irrelevant.

Your sexist poll is as funny as a racist one or a one based on irrelevant sexual preferences.

The only issue as I said before is are they up to doing the job. Now I am not saying they are or are not individually up to the job

Twittering @spen_666
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    spen666 wrote:

How about polls on banning blacks or irish from commentating then?
    Or what about banning Gays from commentating?

All of these things are equally irrelevant.

Your sexist poll is as funny as a racist one or a one based on irrelevant sexual preferences.

The only issue as I said before is are they up to doing the job. Now I am not saying they are or are not individually up to the job

Interesting that you choose to capitalise the word gay but not Black or Irish.
    Could it be your prejudices showing?
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009

What do you lot think?

I think you are a sad old misogynist. Women can do things outside the kitchen and the bedroom.
  • Anonymous
    gavintc wrote:

What do you lot think?

I think you are a sad old misogynist. Women can do things outside the kitchen and the bedroom.

Here we have the classic self destructing argument. By placing women in the kitchen and bedroom you have demonstrated where your preconceptions lie.
    Or did I duck too soon to miss the salient point?
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    whitley wrote:
    gavintc wrote:

What do you lot think?

Here we have the classic self destructing argument. By placing women in the kitchen and bedroom you have demonstrated where your preconceptions lie.

Come, come, it was not I that complained so long about female commentators. Fagor asked for comment, and I think my comment fits his rather narrow opinion about women. What is so wrong with a female commentator.? I heard the morning commentary, thought it OK. You clearly did not like the sound of a female and have not considered whether she had the ability to commentate appropriately.
  • Anonymous
    gavintc wrote:
    whitley wrote:
    gavintc wrote:

What do you lot think?

Come, come, it was not I that complained so long about female commentators. Fagor asked for comment, and I think my comment fits his rather narrow opinion about women. What is so wrong with a female commentator.? I heard the morning commentary, thought it OK. You clearly did not like the sound of a female and have not considered whether she had the ability to commentate appropriately.

Didn't even hear the commentary.
    Where do you get the notion that "I didn't like it" from?
  • spen666
    whitley wrote:

Interesting that you choose to capitalise the word gay but not Black or Irish.
    Could it be your prejudices showing?

No, it shows my bad spelling/ grammar. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Twittering @spen_666
  • iainment
    iainment Posts: 992
    On balance of course women should be commentating on anything - but the one on MOTD this weekend just had a voice not made for tv or radio. There are male commentators I can't stand as well - particularly Alan Parry his voice also grates with me.
    But the worst is Alan Green, voice ok but seems to think we need to know all about him rather than the footy.
    Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    The only reason I was slightly pissed off with the women commentator was because:

It sounded rather amateur - like the BBC was doing an experiment or trial run.
    They never treat Everton properly, (e.g. they always talk about no one being able to break up the top 4 - Everton did it a couple of seasons ago but they forget that, they never put Everton on first on MOTD normally one of the last matches, it's all southern bias - they never forget Spurs and they are sh!te)

I've got no problem with female commentators per se, but she was awful, it was painful to listen to even though she might have been saying the right things.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • She sounded a bit forced on the Everton - Fulham match on Saturday but is generally good on the radio.

I am sure she will be ok.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Agree she sounded awful on the MotD highlights - no idea how she sounds on a full match but whenever I've heard her on the highlights she's been pretty bad - maybe not as bad as last Saturday but pretty bad. But having said that she's not as annoying as some of the men that commentate - what she says is fine - it's just the pitch of her voice - it just doesn't work for that job.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    gavintc wrote:

What do you lot think?

Things like this really show that the average age of cyclists tends towards the 'older' end of the spectrum.
    What ?! they allowed women to vote

:roll:
  • girofan
    girofan Posts: 137

Yes, they can jump into the team bath after the match!
    I say what I like and I like what I say!