Hi

Apologies for the stupid title :)

But honestly Im not sure what kind of kit the rest of you wear

Im a novice

I spent 70 quid on the following earlier this year:

As you can see its a jersey not a jacket

Its wind and shower proof

With a base layer its toasty when its getting down to zero

Sorry again for the duff question but if this does all the above, like keep me warm and dry in a shower, then why should I spend more on a 'jacket?'

Thanks

Comments

• I have one pair of bib-longs for winter riding. The rest of my kit is pretty much all summer kit which i just layer up on those chilly days. Whack on some armwarmers and some overshoes and i'm set.

I do have one of these incase it is raining large-Cross-Waterproof.jpg. It is good, but it feels a bit like boil in the bag, so it rarely gets put on. I do keep it in my back pocket just in case though!!

I never really bother with thicker jerseys cos i think i'd get way too hot, but if the one you've already got keeps you dry in a shower and the wind off you then i wouldn't bother going another step for a 'jacket'; even with my waterproof on i get soaked (after while in the rain it just ends being a windbreak), i think it's impossible to stay dry when it's really peeing down...
    "Bite off more than you can chew, and chew like hell!!"
  • pw1brown
    pw1brown Posts: 243
    If you're going on long rides (a few hours) in winter, a waterproof jacket is a must, in my view. Even if the wet creeps in, the jacket still helps keep you warm inside it. Basically, I agree with Nickodemus's advice to use extra layers as you need them.
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    For what it's worth a wind stopper will keep you nice and warm with a base layer, it won't get too sweaty as it breaths well, A waterproof can turn you into a 'boil in the bag' . so unless you are mega rich and can afford the best then just get a micro folding one you can stick in your pocket and just take out when it really starts to chuck it down, most wind stoppers are fairly waterproof anyway and have the advantage you can stick them in the wash with your other kit as long as you use non bio powder. I have a bright yellow Altura night vision and I would recomend it http://www.bikesyoulike.co.uk/index.htm ... 1&brandID=
    I've seen them cheaper than this but it shows you the jacket.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • bigmug
    bigmug Posts: 58
    Agree with whats said - I spent out on a 'breathable' waterproof, yep, I was great on the front as a Michelin Man type wind block for the rest of the club run! Sweat sweat and more sweat.

Look at the weather forecast and select the number of layers/kit that you feel comfortable with for the likely temperature - with a cheap waterproof for the back pocket.

If its that bad - sub zero or very wet then more than a couple of hours out is being greedy!
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    I layer up summer stuff and a long sleeved jearsy over the top.

I have a breathable waterproof shell, handy for the odd shower and keeps the wind way and you're nice and warm.

In my legs I wear Bib Tights

That jacket/jearsey looks good, I'd layer under it
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Personal choice,depending on your cycling style and reasons, and more importantly....... What is in the sales!!!!!

What size are you?

(Personal I know, but I have my reasons..)

For instance a Goretex jacket can cosy as little as £50:

http://www.bikeplus.co.uk do the Santini in a 34" or 36" at £49.99 and there are similar bargains out there. This can often put apparently expensive products into the affordable range.

I tend tend to be led by this with the sales dictatig what I wear and use rather than looking out for a specific jacket
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    Forgot to mention , You will need a pair of over shoes, they will keep your tutsies nice and warm and dry. Riding with cold feet is awfull, they will also prolong the life of your shoes.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Welcome Nicodemus - from Crondall, you have an esteemed cycling neighbour in Richard Prebble, UK TT circuit champion. About 70% of my rides go through your village. Clothing choice really depends on how many hours you plan on riding - layering summer kit may be fine for 1-2 hours, but when you get beyond a couple of hours, the ability to stay warm is critical. I only wear a waterproof shell when it really starts raining - a windstopper shell is pretty showerproof and 'breathes' far better. Moisture management is actually the key - too much clothing and you develop a sweaty 'fug' that chills, or too little and you just never get warm. A good indicator is that as you set off and feel slightly cold, then you're probably just 'right'. Learning what layers work well with what conditions takes time, but aways worth sticking a lightweight shell in your back pocket just in case you get cold.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Hiya, Novice here too. I've just bought Cycling Weekly's Health & Fitness magazine and it tells you excactly what you should be wearing in all conditions. It's got good training & nutrition stuff too. It's nearly worth the £5.95 cover price ;-)
    The scent of these arm-pits is aroma finer than prayer