upgrades?

stueyc
stueyc Posts: 518
edited December 2007 in Road beginners
i have a 4yr old claud butler milano...campag xenon front/back mech,mirage chainset,itm bars,crane creek ahead,vuelta xcrosser wheels

anyone have any ideas on upgrades?...not a massive budget but like to fiddle with it a little

any comments much appreciated

Comments

• top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    what sort of budget did you have in mind? Personally I'd not bother unless there are areas which are worn and need replaced. Worn parts would be the first on the replacement list.
  • stueyc
    about £100-£150...nothing really worn as bike hardly used
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    I actually rebuilt a Milano over summer for a friend's wife who gave it to her husband as a present (was was keen to get into road cycling on a budget)

This was a black and yellow model with a carbon fork - stripped of the entire groupset i was amazed at how light the frame is - really very light indeed! so perhaps if it fits you well and you like it, it isn't such a bad base to upgrade on.

with that budget - you could probably upgrade the wheels, but you might not see so much of a benefit as the vuelta wheels are pretty lightweight too. definatley upgrade the tyres to something half decent - that will make a difference.

others to consider - the seatpost is aluminium so a change to a carbon post will save a little weight and make for a more comfortable ride. The saddle was atrocious (selle san marco is it?) so perhaps a nice lightweight saddle would be good (specialized toupe?)
    also - the brakes on the one i worked on were unbranded and rubbish - it had shimano gear and the calipers didn't have a qr function but I guess that doesn't matter on yours as QR is taken careof at the levers.Speaking of which - you could change the levers - some nice centaur carbon ones for around £89 would give a smoother action and provide a bit more bling if you are a carbon tart...
  • stueyc
    great comments thankyou...your right the seat is appalling and definately needs to change.

tektro calipers front and back...idea to change?levers are campag xenon,plastic and not a great feel to be honest...

got vittoria zaffiro 700x23 tyres on at moment,need to change? but seatpost again yes carbon sounds a better idea...
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    Clothes are a good suggestion, but failing that make sure it is things that are worth transferring on to a new bike eg lights, pedals, seat etc should you choose to up grade the whole bike.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • I'd personally continue to save my cash until I'd got £300 to £400 and buy some better wheels. They tend to make a very noticible difference.
    vuelta xrossers i have on not particulary good?