newbie mechanic meltdown

captainbeefheart
captainbeefheart Posts: 18
edited December 2007 in Road beginners
Hello

I'm having some problems removing the crank from an old frame. They are Shimano 600 cranks. I removed the cover and found what I thought was the end of a bolt which I removed (ended up just being a screw on top) and found what looks like the end of a threaded bolt sticking out.

This is what I'm left with.
Photo0027.jpg

Is this what I am supposed to see as I was expecting some sort of hole which I would put the crank extractor tool into? If this is normal does anyone know an online resource I can consulate to work out how the tool works with this?

Sorry for being so blinking slow.

Regards

Beef

Comments

• Does the crank have threads on the inside? If so, screw the larger part of the extracter in, and then use the extractor as normal
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Remove the bolt. Thread the extractor very carefully, slap a little grease on the threads of the extractor, a little, then thread it to the threads on the crank all the way in, which are around the inside of the whole the bolt sits inside of, (the bolt does not thread into the crank, it pulls the crank as it screws into the axle.) The bolt threads into the end of the axle.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    bikers46 wrote:
    Remove the bolt. Thread the extractor very carefully, slap a little grease on the threads of the extractor, a little, then thread it to the threads on the crank all the way in, which are around the inside of the whole the bolt sits inside of, (the bolt does not thread into the crank, it pulls the crank as it screws into the axle.) The bolt threads into the end of the axle.

i would say that this does not use bolts! and he has removed the NUT.

as said earlier just wind the tool further into ist self, If it will (depends on which you have) and then use as normal.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Funny enough, some people call a bolt a nut, and vice versa. I was only trying to help.
    Not watching this topic any longer.
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    Hi Beef
    try here might be some use.
    regards
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • Thanks for everyones input on this

IMG_2539.jpg

These are my two crank pullers. I bought a second as I wasn't sure I had the correct one when I found this pesky bolt sticking out.

The larger end would fit with the thread on the inside of the crank but I don't understand how to get it round the bolt which is sticking out as the puller wont fit in to join up with the thread.

Methinks I am truly a dumb ass although this is the first bit of mechanicary I have ever tried
  • You should be able to unscrew the larger end enough to be able to screw the larger end into the crank and then use the thinner part to push againt the screw sticking out from the BB in order to remove the crank.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=103