winter tyres - recommendations?

on2wheels
on2wheels Posts: 102
edited December 2007 in Road beginners
Bought a new bike at the end of the summer, came with slick tyres, no tread at all.

Am I right in thinking these are for summer/fair weather riding.

If so, should I get some winter tyres, can anyone recommend any from their own experiences

Any advice and recommendations greatly appreciated

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    You don't need tyres with tread, unless you are going off tarmac.

What are the tyres you've got? The tyres you have got may be fine.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    I have been using Conti 4 Seasons since last winter. Now done about 2500 miles with one puncture. Bloody hedge cutters. Back one about half worn. Not fallen off yet.
    I will probably get a rash of punctures and crashes now after saying that.
  • The tyres I have are Specialized Mondos, they came with the bike
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    on2wheels wrote:
    The tyres I have are Specialized Mondos, they came with the bike
    If they're Mondos without the Armadillo puncture protection I'd ditch them pretty sharpish, personally not for the lack of grip but for p*n*t*re resistance.

I used them for the first summer I had my Allez and they were ok.
    However, once the amount of debris on the road started to increase in autumn and winter I started to get a shed load of those nasty p words.

They cut up really easily for me and there didn't seem much to stop any intruder making its way into the tube either.
    I initially bought a set of Mondo Pros with the Flak Jacket/Armadillo protection.
    While the treads continued to cup up quite easily, nothing made it through to the tubes.

I tried both Conti GP4000 and GP4000S but I've currently got 23mm Krylion Carbons on my winter wheels and they - touch wood - seem to be bullet proof. Not a single nick in the tread.
  • Thanks very much to you all for your comments so far
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Can't seem to get hold the krylion carbons at the moment - seem to be in short supply.
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    I was after 25C Krylions when I bought my winter wheels back in September but no luck.
  • Lagavulin wrote:
    on2wheels wrote:
    The tyres I have are Specialized Mondos, they came with the bike
    If they're Mondos without the Armadillo puncture protection I'd ditch them pretty sharpish, personally not for the lack of grip but for p*n*t*re resistance.

I used them for the first summer I had my Allez and they were ok.
    However, once the amount of debris on the road started to increase in autumn and winter I started to get a shed load of those nasty p words.

They cut up really easily for me and there didn't seem much to stop any intruder making its way into the tube either.
    I initially bought a set of Mondo Pros with the Flak Jacket/Armadillo protection.
    While the treads continued to cup up quite easily, nothing made it through to the tubes.

I'll second this. My 2007 Allez still has the std Mondos, which were excellent in the Summer.
    As soon as the Winter weather started I was getting punctures all the time. I've now stopped riding the bike until I can afford new tyres with good puncture protection.
    I'm finding the MTB awfully slow though.
  • This is a good link on the this site:

http://www.bikeradar.com/commuting/fitn ... yres-11421
    Every winner has scars.
  • plug1n
    plug1n Posts: 204
    @Lagavulin

I got some Krylion 25s about 2 months ago from http://www.cyclesportsuk.co.uk/product_ ... &cPath=359

I see they are not listing 25s now, but in fact mine are more like 27 or 28 so the 23s might be ok.

If I was buying some more it would be the 23s
  • sward29
    sward29 Posts: 205
    Continental Gatorskins - cheap and cheerful. They ride, grip, and wear well and I've only had one puncture in 2500 miles.
  • trio25
    trio25 Posts: 300
    Conti 4 Seasons for me I used to have Conti Gatorskins but fouund them too slippy.
  • peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    gator skins are good.

i had bonti hardcases but skidded through the back on on my fixed in about 2 months.
  • Thanks to all of you for replying, I think it's going to be between gatorskins and 4 seasons
  • trio25
    trio25 Posts: 300
    My Gatorskins were fine on my old commute, my new one is a lot hiller and I needed more grip.
  • I can recommend Conti 4 seasons for race bike and Schwalbe City Jet for Hybrids. :D