new tyre advice please

stueyc
stueyc Posts: 518
edited December 2007 in Road beginners
lookin to change my 700/25 road tyres......budget not massive!

any benefits/downsides to 700/23?

Comments

• OnTow
    OnTow Posts: 130
    Hi - What do wish to do with them, and do you have any specific requirements?
    700/23 obviously has a lower contact area than 700/25, though you'll find that different manufacturers have slightly different real-world sizes for the same nominal dimensions.

It's also a lot down to the construction and compound.

There have been some arguments that 700/25 rolls better than 700/23 in terms of rolling resistance.

Of course, with a thinner tyre you're also more prone to pinch flats, and therefore have less lattitude with regard to changing the pressure dependent on the road conditions.
    Also, if you're heavy, you'll have to keep an eye on those pressures.

The thinner tyre will also be less absorbant of undulations.

For winter tyres, check out
    Michelin Krylions
    Others mentioned are the Vittoria Pave (700/24) and Continental GP4000S / GP4 Season.
    Contis get negative press for sometimes being slippery in the wet.
    Vittorias have been said to have less puncture resistance.
  • stueyc
    Many thanks for your advice,i will check out the tyres mentioned,was unaware of the 700/24 option as never seen before,might be a good idea to slit the 2 sizes and go for the 24
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Michelin Krylion carbons seem to be on short supply at present, i can't seem to get hold of the 25s anywhere.
  • ..........for this winter i will be mostly using continenta ultra gatorskins £20 a pair from LBS :)
  • webbhost
    webbhost Posts: 470
    I use michellin ProRace2 Tyres.. A little pricey (kinda) but a very good puncture resistant tyre. I had 1 puncture since using these tyres, and that was because i had worn the tyre down and it was replacement time.

Great grip too.
  • stueyc
    better grip on a 700/25 than 23?
  • webbhost
    Hi,

Can only give you the information above, not sure if a 25C tyre will give more traction, aill I know is the ProRace2 23C tyres run and control like silk (even in the wet) as long as they're kept upto pressure - 100 - 120C. Also they happen to be on offer right now at ProBikeKit

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?c ... MIT=12#toc

RRP £29.99
    Now Only £17.84

For that price, I am sure you would be pleasently surprised by them if you choose to buy them. I have not had any bad experiences with these tyres yet, except for 1 wearing away (My fault... I should learn that tyres are not meant to be constantly skidded).

ICheck the specific page for the tyres and look into the info.

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=Y1123

for grip its got 4/5 rating
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    i have been using ProRace's and ProRace 2s for a couple of years now and they are excellent tyres. As already stated they seem to be pretty good in all road conditions.

I myself fancy a change this year but I am having trouble getting hold of Michelin Krylion carbons in 25s. In short supply it seems.
  • webbhost
    weeeeeee someone agrees with me (Yes iv ad a bit tooo muech wine)
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    webbhost wrote:
    Also they happen to be on offer right now at ProBikeKit

£36.95 a pair here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-x-Michelin-Pro-Race-2-bicycle-tyres-FREE-TUBES_W0QQitemZ330164282825QQihZ014QQcategoryZ27954QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem with a pair of free tubes too! 8)
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    I run pro race 2's on both my road bikes - great tyres - love em and lots of colours to match your bike !!!