Charge Mixer or Specialized Tricross

sean65
sean65 Posts: 104
edited December 2007 in Road beginners
Hi all,

I'm a MTBer looking to get myself a road bike.

If money was no object I'd more than likely get a Thorn Raven Sport Tour. Reason's being that I'd use the bike for general buzzing around as well as light fast touring and I'd like to try some Audax events next year. (not to mention the clean lines of the Rohloff hub etc...)

Two cheaper bikes have taken my fancy. One being the Charge Mixer with a Shimano internal geared hub and the other being the Specalized Tricross.

Both bikes have fittings for mudgaurds and racks and both bikes look great but the Chrage has the edge in terms of cool looks and steel frame.

I live by the Thames and I like the idea if being able to use the hard packed towpaths as well as roads on my routes.

Does anyone have any experience of the these bikes and if so what do you think?

Comments

• MrGrumpy
    MrGrumpy Posts: 288
    i`d get the tricross, its an ideal commuter/tourer, fit ome nice rolling tyres and fast to boot.
  • sean65
    Thanks MrGrumpy,

I'm leaning in that direction anyway. I was looking at maybe keeping the wheels and tyres that come with the Tricross as the go anywhere set and maybe investing in a road only set of wheels.
  • The Mixer only has 8 gears - which you might find limiting. Though nicer frame as you say.
    You could always add the rohloff later . . . and you wouldn't have to put up with the 26" wheels of the Thorn.
  • sean65
    star_rover wrote:
    The Mixer only has 8 gears - which you might find limiting. Though nicer frame as you say.
    You could always add the rohloff later . . . and you wouldn't have to put up with the 26" wheels of the Thorn.

Mmmmm...Good point.

I've just been down to my local bike shop and looked at the Tricross. Nice bike. Love the frame tube shapes. Looks versatile and sturdy.

They didn't have a Mixer but they had the Charge Plug which is the coolest bike I've seen for years. It's modern but traditional, staid but lairy, simple to the extreme. Loved it.

Wish I had the legs for a single speed, Maybe it might be a good idea to start with 8 on the mixer and work my way down to 1.

Having seen these bikes today I'm now leaning more towards the Charge.

Tomorrow I'll see if I can do a lap of Richmond Park without changing gears. Just to satisfy my curiosity itch.

Then maybe I might be able to do this ( as all responsible 42 year old men do)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5mxMOGL ... n-out.html