When is Primark gonna start doing cycling gear?

songwriter
songwriter Posts: 109
edited December 2007 in Road beginners
How much does everything bloody cost? ouch!

I may have to turn to crime then cycle away really fast.
The scent of these arm-pits is aroma finer than prayer

Comments

• muz250
    muz250 Posts: 95
    I do moto x, cyclings about 20x cheaper :D, once you have all your equipment its prity much free :wink: .
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    Yup, fuel costs for cycling are pretty low as well 8)

My bike does about 25 miles to the banana.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • feel wrote:
    Yup, fuel costs for cycling are pretty low as well 8)

My bike does about 25 miles to the banana.

javascript:emoticon(':D') qoute of the day
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    What costs you so much?

For super cheap kit, it has to be Aldi and Lidl, but you need to keep an eye out or subscribe to their weekly e-mails, as they are twice yearly offers with limited stock.

I have got a heap of bargains recently, off ebay, wiggle and CRC, who both have some cracking deals if you keep your eyes peeled.

eg:

Gill Jerseys - £6.99 each
    Berghaus jacket - £25
    Diadora Carbon soled MTB shoes (With ratchet) £52
    Wicking undershirts - £4.49
    Wicking long sleeved shirts - £7.19
    Berghaus Fleece long sleeved top - £14.99
    Altura Overtrousers - £18.99

Decathlon are also good for bargains, and your not a million miles away from 2 branches where you are - Bluewater & Surrey Quays.
    I saw padded bib tights in there for £20, padded cycling shorts for £5.99, padded MTB shorts for £9.

Somebody also said TK Maxx were doing some cycling gear, I think it was base layers, for not very much mula.

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Daniel B wrote:
    What costs you so much?

For super cheap kit, it has to be Aldi and Lidl, but you need to keep an eye out or subscribe to their weekly e-mails, as they are twice yearly offers with limited stock.

I have got a heap of bargains recently, off ebay, wiggle and CRC, who both have some cracking deals if you keep your eyes peeled.

eg:

Berghaus jacket - £25

Decathlon are also good for bargains, and your not a million miles away from 2 branches where you are - Bluewater & Surrey Quays.
    I saw padded bib tights in there for £20, padded cycling shorts for £5.99, padded MTB shorts for £9.

Somebody also said TK Maxx were doing some cycling gear, I think it was base layers, for not very much mula.

Dan

Wow, thanks for that info. So it's possible to get bargains in this wonderfully overpriced new hobbie of mine!!!
  • songwriter wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    What costs you so much?

eg:

Berghaus jacket - £25

Dan

Wow, thanks for that info. So it's possible to get bargains in this wonderfully overpriced new hobbie of mine!!!
    as the saying goes "buy cheap buy twice"!!!
  • Would also suggest trying Mike Dyason (www.mikedyason.com) for budget clothing - I use their own-brand "Ozzo" overshoes, bibshorts and winter gloves and have no complaints any of these items; the overshoes have outlasted a more expensive Endura pair purchased some years after the Ozzo ones! Mike himself is retiring at the end of the year, but the business is keeping going under new owners; hope they don't bump up the prices too much.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800

Yep certainly does. Bought some winter cycling trousers from Aldi for a tenner quite a few weeks ago have been so impressed with them that i went back tonight and after rummaging around a bit i found another pair :D . Also got some cycling gloves, with reflective detail, last month for £2.99 and they have been great.
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • MrGrumpy
    MrGrumpy Posts: 288
    songwriter wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    What costs you so much?

eg:

Berghaus jacket - £25

Dan

So are you advocating we should be dressed head to toe in Rapha and/or Assos gear then ?? I think you should really add it depends on what you wanna do and hiow comfortable you want to feel. Lidl/Aldi gear can be crapolla, but it still good value compared to overtly overpriced and quite frankly not much better expensive gear.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    songwriter wrote:
    So it's possible to get bargains in this wonderfully overpriced new hobbie of mine!!!
    Yup. One way is not to buy bike-specific clothing - my main outer layer is an old Buffalo windshirt, base layer is an own-brand wicking t-shirt. You don't need gore-tex and fancy fabrics to keep the rain out.

Watch out for bargains at the big online retailers already mentioned, they sell like hot cakes. Ditto Aldi and Lidl stuff, which is excellent value; both my gloves and thermal longjohns were £2.99. It's hard to argue with that sort of pricing.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Lidl still have some bits, picked up another bike rack today reduced to £4.99
  • I generally buy cheap kit and overall it is excellent value. Even if I do buy twice, I am still onto a winner price-wise compared to the usual brands. However, I have had some expensive kit too and I don't find that it lasts so much longer.

Some great places for cheap kit have already been listed. It is also worth looking at ProBikeKit. They used to do some bib shorts at £15 which were very comfy (for me).

However, the best places to buy cheap stuff are jumble sales / bike rallys. For example, Mildenhall Bicycle Rally is fairly close to me (bank holiday weekend August). Previous bargains I have had:
    Jerseys at £5 each (which seem to last for ever).
    A pair of shoes for £5.
    Glasses for £3
    Chains £5 for 3!
    Well the list could go on for a long time. I find that most cycling kit lasts very well. Winter jackets don't seem to last through that many washes (even the more expensive ones I have tried) so as they become less effective, I just use them in milder weather and get a new one for the really cold days.
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Just got some bib shorts from probikekit discounts on at minute aswell so very good value TK Maxx have got baselayers and woollen socks