What happens on May 8 (victory in WWII day) in France?

raybo
raybo Posts: 87
edited December 2007 in Tour & expedition
My touring plans call for me to arrive in France on May 8, a national holiday. What's more, Pentecost is on May 11 in 2008, making for a 4-day holiday, I guess. What are these holidays like in France? Is everyone on the move, filling up the campgrounds and hotels? Is everything shutdown?

Does anyone know if this alignment of the stars is a bad omen for the start of a long tour? I have some flexibility and can move it a day or two either way (though I have to be in Avignon on May 31).

Thanks,

Ray

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    It's like a British Bank holiday. Don't expect to find a bank or post office open but you won't starve or have to sleep on a park bench.

With another holiday on the 11th there probably will be people trying to 'faire le pont' but I doubt you'll have troubles finding somewhere to stay unless you are really unlucky.
  • In more rural areas there might be some campsites that aren't really open in May. But a nice chat with locals/mayor usually resolves the problem!
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Everyone eats.

this is very good news if you want to make progress on the roads, because they are largely empty.

I once arrived in Dieppe on 8 May in a 2CV, needing to get to Sarlat in a day and choosing to do so without using motorways (not much point in a 2CV, frankly). I had the whole of France's wonderful road system to myself all day. It was great.

Only problem was that I got hungry and stopped at a bar for a snack. Big mistake. I caused huge offence by asking for an omlette, yes just an omlette. It took about twenty minutes of negotiation to convince them I didn't want the four course 8th May celebration banquet, with wine. The notion of anyone being in a hurry on a jour de fete was quite alien to them all.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)