Winter Tyres

gotta_hurt
gotta_hurt Posts: 239
edited January 2008 in XC and Enduro
What do u guys n girls recommend for the best all round winter tyre? Useing the trailrakers at momment but would like to know what others use? Has anybody tried the new panaracers pr?

Comments

• steelo
    steelo Posts: 542
    Bontrager Mud X are supposed to be the ones to beat at the moment.
    Specialized Rockhopper '07
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09
  • S_J_P
    S_J_P Posts: 908
    I second the Bonty Mud X's, I have a pair in the shed waiting to go on my rims once I get some spare time!
  • ive got dome specialized enduro tyres 2.2 in my cupboard , on my bike is kenda nevegal2.1.

These drag like mad and the other day the kendas gathered mud like a wasp to a bin!!!!!!!! :shock:

which will offer best rolling and control

oh yes i havea pair of kenda coyotes 2.0 i think and a michelin 26.2 xl tyre also, it could be a wildgripper. Any ideas on a good mix :roll:
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1347023/

KEEPING IT REAL RIDING STEEL
  • breezer
    breezer Posts: 1,225
    I just bought some 2" Mud X's after getting annoyed with no traction and limited rear clearance on my frame and they have won every winter/mud test for a couple of years. They come up a bit small, i certainly wouldnt get the 1.8" but they work brilliantly. Havent been back out in any mental mud but no clogging in the stuff I have been in and they seem to grip really well in the soft ground due to the open spike like tread
  • i'm currently running conti XC's 1.5's theseare great on long grass, mud, road but when it comes to stones/loose stones, roots they are lethal! even if you're trying to take it slow
  • BOYDIE
    BOYDIE Posts: 528
    Ive been running Mud x from September........live In Scotland...............They are great and do come up small like a previous posted stated.I purchased the 2.0,but are more like a 1.8.But dont let that put you off,possibly the best winter tyre ive ever owned,even when it has dryed out a bit they still roll fast,not as fast as my fast track pros,but not a kick in the arse of it.

I spend most of my time getting them to slide...............its impossible. :shock:
  • I was looking for a set of winter tyres recently too. The standard ones on my Rockhopper were rubbish in the mud so I decided to order the Continental Verticals on advice from my dad who is a keen mtb'er. Might get out on them tomorrow if I'm brave enough to venture out in the snow.
  • BOYDIE
    BOYDIE Posts: 528
    Was out on the snow today,lommond hills in Fife,bloody hard work in the snow,very slow.The downhills ...very interesting.
  • BOYDIE wrote:
    Was out on the snow today,lommond hills in Fife,bloody hard work in the snow,very slow.The downhills ...very interesting.

Oh im from Fife too, can see the hills from my house! Didn't venture out on my bike today because of the snow :(