getting to heathrow by train from birmingham

mazza
mazza Posts: 52
edited December 2007 in Tour & expedition
has anyone got any ideas to get to heathrow from birmingham and can anyone give me advice about flying with a bike do i put my bike in a bike bag to fly to newzealand

Comments

• Maybe not relevant to you but T5 is getatable by bike.

"As part of our commitment to more environmentally frendly travel, we’ve made it easy for you to get to Terminal 5 by bicycle. We’ve created some new cycle paths and also free bicycle parking at either end of the terminal.

In fact, Heathrow was already at the centre of a network of cycle paths. All BAA had to do was add new ones along the Western Perimeter and Colne Valley.

To plan your best cycle route, download our cycle route map. Or to find a cycling route into central London, check the Transport for London journey planner for the route along the Grand Union Canal towpath to Paddington (just over 90 minutes).

Bicycle parking - For free bicycle parking, use the facilities at either end of Heathrow Terminal 5. Or you can safely store your bike in the left baggage office for up to 90 days.
    However, do take care, because bicycles parked outside designated areas will be removed.

http://www.terminal5.ba.com/en/to-and-from-terminal-5/cycling-to-terminal-5/
  • tatanab
    tatanab Posts: 1,283
    Train - I would go direct from Birminham to Reading and then use the Raillink (something like that) bus to Heathrow. If you don't like the bus (not sure if they will take an unbagged bike) then you can ake a Virgin service to Watford Junction and change there for Heathrow. http://www.thetrainline.com/default.asp ... 7125132115

Bag - ask your airline. Of course it depends on what you intend to do in NZ. I used the same hotel for first and last nights and so put my bike in a hard case.
  • Chiltern Line from Brum to Denham, 40 mins cycle ride to Heathrow
    Anyone seen my bearings?
  • psmiffy
    psmiffy Posts: 236
    i always use a bag - train to euston, taxi to victoria (dont go to tunnel - walk outside and to right get taxi in road) heathrow express
  • pq
    pq Posts: 27
    It's much easier on the bus. Direct services from Digbeth coach station to Heathrow. Your bike needs to be well wrapped though.
  • Are you aware you can take your bike for free with airnz if you fly via LA as the luggage allowance is 40kg.

Dont forget to scrub the whole bike down with something like jeyes fluid, makes entry into nz so much easier.

bike box v bag... loads of debate on this but personally I'd take my mtb in a bag but my race bike has to go in a very robust box.
  • mazza
    mazza Posts: 52
    thanks for the advice ive decided to not take my bike as its too much hassel and the weight allowence is only 39 kilo so im going to hire a bike which is canondale it will cost me few quid but at least i know that my bike wont get damaged in transit