29ers

jmeadows
jmeadows Posts: 335
edited December 2007 in MTB beginners
what exactly do you gain from a 29er? read that they can be quicker and handle terrain a bit better?
also why do the frame tubes seem to be slightly smaller? does that mean they stronger frame?
any help much appreciated, cheers
never hurts your eyes to look on the bright side of life...

Comments

• pfft I read in this months or last months mbr where they did a test between 26 and 29ers that there wasn't much difference. I really don't see the point unless you have lots of money and just want to be different. It wasn't any quicker than the 26", there's much fewer parts available (wheels tyres tubes etc). frame tube size could just look different due to the wheel sizes but also material. steel frames like my on-one are much more skinny than alu due to it being stronger. The handling was interpreted in different ways the beginner said it was slow where as the experienced rider said it was stable and surefooted.
    my thoughts, no point in getting one as theres no real advantage except looking different and saying you have a 29er.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    jmeadows wrote:
    what exactly do you gain from a 29er?

You gain the absolute disrespect of 95% of the rest of the UK MTB community.

Gary Fisher is a plank and doesn't know what the rest of us want. 29ers are a fad and will disappear up their own backsides in time.

I'm not in any way prejudiced. I hate everybody equally.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I just view them as another option. If youve rode one, like it, then buy it!
  • jmeadows
    dave_hill wrote:
    jmeadows wrote:
    what exactly do you gain from a 29er?

You gain the absolute disrespect of 95% of the rest of the UK MTB community.

Gary Fisher is a plank and doesn't know what the rest of us want. 29ers are a fad and will disappear up their own backsides in time.

I'm not in any way prejudiced. I hate everybody equally.

Dave you seem to have some real issues, seek help before its too late!
    besides Gary Fisher speaks very highly of you i believe! HA,
    ta for reply Dave
  • Mike Deere
    Mike Deere Posts: 4,259
    It's just one of those things. Some people, especially taller riders, will find 29" wheels more comfortable than riding a 26" wheeled bike. In such cases it will help them go faster and for longer periods of time due to increased comfort.

And whoever said you need lots of money for 29ers doesn't have a clue. Diamondback have an entry-level 29er for £300 fully built. A great way for taller riders to try the standard out for comfort without splashing out.

Also, I'd say the number of 29ers on the market is roughly proportionate to the number of people in the market who'd buy them. So no business problems there. It's not a "fad" it's a niche market.
  • rob cole
    rob cole Posts: 706
    29er is biggest selling mountain bike category in the USA at the moment

whether that is replicated over here remains to be seen, as our terrain / trails are quite different

no harm in having something different, some ride MTB's, some ride road bikes, some ride cyclocross, some ride courier bikes, some ride BMX...its all good :wink:
    check out my riding - www.robcole.co.uk Banshee Factory Team rider, Da Kine UK Team rider, www.freeborn.co.uk www.eshershore.com
  • zero303
    zero303 Posts: 1,162
    I have a friend who is about 6' 6" and weighs many many stones as a result. He has to ride at least a 22" frame as a result of his height.

Now he has a 29er and quite frankly, it makes a lot of sense for him because what he's got is a mountain bike that is in proportion for him and the bigger wheels are a big hand in terms of stability with his sheer size.

As for me, I'm spectacularly average in both height and weight and ride anything from 17" to 19" bikes. For me, I can't see the point of a 29er and I'm very happy on a good old 26" wheeled bike.
  • jmeadows
    american trends tend to be followed over here a few years later dont they?
    so chances are if 29ers are any good they will become more popular over here soon, and if someone is going to 'disrespect' you because of the bike you ride then that person is narrow minded, sad and ignorant and who cares about the opinion of someone with that mindset? not me thats for sure! word
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Its refreshing to see (most) people viewing them as just another option. You still get people with such a strong opinion- who have never ridden one, but still say they are crap.

Most people buy online these days (well certainly lots of people) and as such, you will have NO trouble finding so called 29er parts..... seeing as the gearing, brakes, handlebars stem etc is just the same kit you can buy anywhere- its not that big an issue. My wheels I had handbuilt- not much heavier than most little wheelsets. Tyres I can order and get a wide selection of- just like little wheel bikes. Sheesh, get a life and accept they are different.
    I was astounded at just how much smoother everything is, more grip (larger tyre patch) lower pressures (larger surface arear and volume supporting the rider) All this BS about only good for people over 6ft is just shite. I'm 6ft and this frame is a 19" On-One.
    Plenty of shorter riders have them (29er) Stateside, and as frame geometery improves and evolves things can only get better. And they may be a niche market over here, but now that the big companies have started to make them, you will see an increase in their numbers.
    Anyway here is a pic of mine-

2104114774_05cb4217cd_b.jpg
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • Thing is I like my bikes very moveable and "flickable" I ride bmx alot, have ridden 24" lot and bought a small marin full sus which was great fun. So 29" would be going the wrong way for me and wouldn't be such an enjoyable experience. Each to their own obviously.
    In terms of the original post:
    what exactly do you gain from a 29er? read that they can be quicker and handle terrain a bit better?
    You don't gain too much I don't think, they've been sort of proven by MBR twice that they're not any quicker over the set course they had but they could handle it better being larger wheels.

also why do the frame tubes seem to be slightly smaller? does that mean they stronger frame? All down to the material, the frame wouldn't be stronger just because its 29" wheels I wouldn't have thought.
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    They problem with reviews is- what one likes, another won't. I bought a Scott Genius MC20 -great reviews. I hated it. You have to ride a 29er to see the difference, I was suprised at how marked the level of grip and smootheness had gone up! It was a massive increase, I was muttering to myself all the way round for my first ride. Another thing that doesn't get written about is that on a little wheeled bike I always felt perched on top of it, while on my 29er I feel 'in' it more. I know that some people have made 29er long travle downhill rigs in the states and theres lalso lots of shite written about wheels not being strong- well there are plenty of weak 26" wheels as well.
    Handbuilt is best, mine are single guage spokes in a 3 cross pattern. Hope freedom disc rims and just as strong as any other 26" wheel I've had. They may well be slightly less flickable, but for normal trail riding, I dont think you can get a better type of bike.
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....