7 day tour of Andulucia .Where is best ?

Mapman
Mapman Posts: 254
edited December 2007 in Tour & expedition
Hello all ,looking to go to Andulucia in May 08 Around the Malaga region Are there any tips ,or must sees ? Cheers

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    This site might be helpful:

http://www.legadoandalusi.es/legado/contenido/rutas/

also check out the Vías Verdes website.

My shortlist of high points would include Granada, Sevilla, Córdoba, Jerez de la Frontera, Cádiz and all of the 'pueblos blancos'. Not sure Malaga is the best starting point though.
  • jibi
    jibi Posts: 857
    I enjoyed the pueblos blanca route and El Chorro gorge was spectacular, from Seville to Ubeda and then to down to Granada.

Lots to see and do all over there

george
  • Malaga is ok, granada very impressive. Gibraltar is... errr... quaint? Lots of small villages away from coast all with small pensiones or hostals and a few english B&Bs for good measure.
    Alora makes a reasonable centre, with train link to coast for off days.
    Reckon on lumpy nature of countryside keeping mileage down a bit tho'
    HAve fun - its a great place to cycle
  • Mapman
    Mapman Posts: 254
    cheers everyone ps We need to fly from Bournemouth ,so its Malaga as a starting point
  • mangaman
    mangaman Posts: 704
    Malaga's Ok as long as you head north

Granada and Sierra Nevada are a must

We rode from there to Seville and it was fantastic. Lots of beutiful areas especially Antequera to Ronda

All the white towns are beautiful, as is Arcos de la Frontera and Jerez

A word of warning though it is surprisingly isolated even quite close to Malaga. It will be very hot with very little shade, so you need to plan your route carefully to always go through every possible village to stock up on water
  • My favourite places from there on a week and half tour a couple of years ago, were Granada and Ronda. Granada´s a must, particularly the Alhambra, if riding from Malaga I´d recommend breaking the journey at Alhama de Granada, a small village/town with some relaxing thermal springs near by - very relaxing.
    Accomm wise there is a hotel there, but we stumbled on a brit couple who´d bought a place there and were about to set it up as a b&b.

Ronda´s super too, I wasn´t taken too much with El Chorro myself, nice gorge no doubt but the village itself isn´t upto much IMHO and I´d definitely avoid the hostel on the campsite there.
  • My favourite places from there on a week and half tour a couple of years ago, were Granada and Ronda. Granada´s a must, particularly the Alhambra, if riding from Malaga I´d recommend breaking the journey at Alhama de Granada, a small village/town with some relaxing thermal springs near by - very relaxing.
    Accomm wise there is a hotel there, but we stumbled on a brit couple who´d bought a place there and were about to set it up as a b&b.

Ronda´s super too, I wasn´t taken too much with El Chorro myself, nice gorge no doubt but the village itself isn´t upto much IMHO and I´d definitely avoid the hostel on the campsite there.

No El Chorro village isn't much and the hclimbing /hippy centre to the east of the river is err.... a bit strange!
    But the road that snakes left & back to an outlook over the valley is very nice as is the bits & bobs of places around the reservoirs. The road west into the next valley is a nice ride too if I remember correctly ; I know we had a rather chilly picknick along it anyway!!
    The road between El chorro and the Alquetera road is also very nice. We saw vultures & eagles there (and had a damp picnic, watching rain lash along the Alquetera road - impressive!)
  • sean02ie
    sean02ie Posts: 161
    Some photos of Sevilla to Malaga Antequera needs an extra day to ride to El Tocal (14K) and take the longer walk, (about 2 hours) beware its up a cul-de-sac and there's no water. www.seanoreilly.4t.com
  • Have been several times. Great cycling once you get away from the suburbs of Malaga.

For seven days I'd suggest. Malaga> Ronda (via Alora or Coin)> Ubrique> (Arcos de la Frontera>) Zahara de la Sierra> Olvera> Teba> Antequera> El Torcal> Almogia> Malaga.

Have a look at Cycle Touring in Spain (Cicerone) which has a couple of tours from Malaga which largely cover the above loop & another one finishing there. Also lists accommodation on the routes

Add/delete distance as appropriate. May is probably best time to go, warm but not boiling. Climbs can be long but are well graded. Very scenic.