Bianchi or Specialized?

FSR_XC
FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
edited December 2007 in Road beginners
I know there's loads of questions on here about 'which bike should I buy?', so I guess I'll not get great response from this.

I am looking at an entry level road bike for training and to do a 'sprint' triathlon on in 2008. I will probably end up getting it on Cycle Scheme (not that this matters) and after a brief look around have narrowed it dow to 2 (I hope).

1. Bianchi C2C VIA NIRONE 7 Alu Xenon - http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=87037
(I've just noticed this too - http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=70440)
Like the colour and the curve of the top tube. (ooh, why did I say that?)
Like the idea it has Campag gearing (but no idea why)
It's a little different & certainly not common.
I have heard they are very good.

2. Specialized Allez - http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=86029
Have a Specialized MTB
Good reputation
Cheaper
Have a local dealer (where nearest Bianchi dealer is over 100 miles away)
Shimano better than Campag?
Dealer would change to bigger chainrings FOC.

I looked at the Bianchi this weekend but was unable to ride it. It seemed lighter. I noticed the rear deraillier was plastic (am I right?) and the gears & brakes seemed more 'agricultural'.
It comes with clipless - great, but I was thinking of using MTB SPD's as I only need one type of shoe then.

Right that's enough from me. Don't suppose anyone would like to give me some advice . . . . .
Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I'd go for Bianchi and campag myself as I think they look better and find specialized rather dull. However there is nothing technically wrong with the Allez.

I'm not sure about the Xenon though, I don't like the idea of plastic bits. There's nothing wrong with the Sora on the Allez.

(After Xmas I'm getting a Bianchi with Campag: http://www.bianchi.it/en/products2008/Road_Y8B42.aspx - so I may be a bit biased.)
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • pw1brown
    pw1brown Posts: 243
    My advice would be, if at all possible, to have a spin on each before you decide. The pedals are very much a secondary consideration as you can always change them anyway.
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    Not sure if this is a helpful reply but......
    At the end of last year I was buying my first proper road bike and narrowed it down to a Bianchi and a Spesh Roubaix. I knew the Spesh was better value but I really wanted the Bianchi. Finally I made the smart decision and bought the Spesh (which is every bit as good as I was told) and I still wish I'd bought the Bianchi!
  • I'd go for Bianchi and campag myself as I think they look better and find specialized rather dull. However there is nothing technically wrong with the Allez.

I'm not sure about the Xenon though, I don't like the idea of plastic bits. There's nothing wrong with the Sora on the Allez.

(After Xmas I'm getting a Bianchi with Campag: http://www.bianchi.it/en/products2008/Road_Y8B42.aspx - so I may be a bit biased.)

I used to own a pair of all-plastic Mirage Ergo levers; they worked absolutely fine, but I didn't like the feel of the brake levers, though the gear change side of things was OK. Tellingly, Campag have gone back to aluminium brake levers (still with plastic for the gear bits) for the 2007 Mirage group.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • I'm afraid I can't really help with the technical side, but I would go for one of the Bianchis.

I recently purchased my first "real" bike and after seeing a Bianchi in the flesh, I was smitten. No-body could change my mind onto a different make.

I also liked it as it's not a bike you see every day, and the green it comes in is very sexy. Spesh are nice bikes, but every one has one.

If the specs are very similar, go for the one that brings a smile to your face :D
  • I bought a Bianchi C2C VIA NIRONE 7 Alu with Sora in August and have since done almost 1000 miles on it, mostly on longer rides.

I really like it - I wanted a entry-level bike that I could upgrade over time, if necessary. I think the frame can cope with better wheels and gears (although Sora is perfectly fine). I'll only upgrade as parts wear out.

The frame does look good too - nice shape.
    "Tyres down on your bicycle, your nose feels like an icicle"
  • claash
    claash Posts: 145
    Of course you can argue back and forth for weeks.
    Price, spec, components etc even colour,style, build.....

BUT

It really all comes down to which one makes your heart jump!

Which one makes you think...."I want to get out and ride...who cares if it is chucking it down with rain"

Which one you could imagine having a picture of on your mobile phone.

Which one you LOVE!

Yes I know it is a really girlie way of looking at it....... But if you don't buy the bike you love, you will be constantly thinking "what if....."
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    clanton wrote:
    Not sure if this is a helpful reply but......
    At the end of last year I was buying my first proper road bike and narrowed it down to a Bianchi and a Spesh Roubaix. I knew the Spesh was better value but I really wanted the Bianchi. Finally I made the smart decision and bought the Spesh (which is every bit as good as I was told) and I still wish I'd bought the Bianchi!

I was in exactly the same position: lusting after the Bianchi, advised to get the Roubaix (on the grounds that it was "kinder" to the unathletic older man). I got the Roubaix and I love it. Ergononically, it was the right choice. Furthermore, I have got over my lust for Bianchis; they are getting to be as common a sight as Giants, Treks and all the others.

Except for the Bianchi Pista, which is a work of Art, but that is another kind of bike altogether.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Zendog1
    Zendog1 Posts: 816
    I would go for the Allez and use the saved £100 to upgrade the wheels.

or

You could get an 2007 Allez Sport for £599.
  • FSR_XC
    The more I read the responses, the more I get the feeling that this is just like Italian cars and motorbikes - you buy them with your heart.

The biggest difference here is that the bike will be as reliable as any other.

The VIA NIRONE 7 Alu with Sora sounds an interesting proposition as it gets over the issue of plastic levers etc.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

• a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    FSR_XC wrote:
    this is just like Italian cars and motorbikes - you buy them with your heart.

yep, which is why I went Wilier. :)
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • The desire to have an Italian bike (ideally with Campagnolo) was definitely part of the purchasing decision - although there were a number of other reasons behind the choice.

But, yes, emotion was certainly a big factor in getting the bike. And the frame's not even the famous Bianchi celeste blue/green - it's a dark blue. Still, I made up for that by getting a pair of Bianchi/Gewiss team shorts (very comfortable Santini).

I'm convinced that most bikes at a particular price point are more or less functionally similar. So going with the heart is not going to land you with a bike that doesn't perform.
    "Tyres down on your bicycle, your nose feels like an icicle"
  • Ok - I have both these bikes(or near enough)! I have a Via Nirone 06 Xenon compact which is my commute bike and is used around the Peak District and Mrs Woolfie has an 05 Specialized Allez sora triple which is in the same size so I have ridden it. I really think you have to try both bikes to see which one suits.

For me the Bianchi wins - I prefer the geometry / set up and it seems a bit more race orientated (geometry seems identical to an old Bianchi EV2 road race bike I had) - which suits me. Don't like the handlebars on the Spesh (comparedto the Bianchi) and the setup, geometry and handling on the bike just doesn't feel as sharp to me. I prefer campag brake levers for my hands - you may not.

I did get a ltd edition Bianchi which had campag xenon brake calipers fitted which were much improved over the unbranded versions usually fitted - the Spesh suffers the same problem - might be worth upgrading these to some Shimano calipers if you get it.

Image - prefer the Bianchi of the two and this is someone who has a Spesh S -works best road bike so its not that I don't like Specialized bikes!

As for the Xenon plastic bits - they work fine and I have to say that I now don't like aluminium brake levers because of the thermal shock you get from them - literally sucking the heat out of your fingers on cold descents. Yes its a bit clunkier than the carbon chorus on my best bike but it works fine.

All this probably reads like I don't like the Allez - which is not true - I think its a great bike and its perfect for the Mrs and there isn't that much between the bikes - I don't think you would be disappointed with either.
    Bakewell Toybox
    Bakewell
    Derbyshire

www.welovetoys.co.uk
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    The Allez is a great bike, I've owned one it it served me well. However in the end I was bitten with the upgrade bug and a desire for something with a little more "soul," went for a Wilier at first, but now I'm the proud owner of a Pinarello Prince. There is just something about Italian bikes... :D
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    I've got an Allez Sport. A good bike and I'm the weakpoint of the partnership.
    I did go a bit silly though and I've spent virtually the price of the original bike on upgrades.

I am a bit of a "brand-whore" though and would like something Italian.
    For my next bike, with my Spesh having done me no harm, I'm not ruling out a Tarmac or a Roubaix but I did think Bianchi at first. A Shimano equipped Bianchi would also allow me to just swap the cassette over to run my decent wheels and I did take a bit of a fancy to the 928 C2C in this month's C+.

However, a couple of days ago I saw a Wilier Izoard with Centaur and I think I'm smitten. :oops:

£60 to convert my 1850s from Shimano to Campag though! :evil:
  • There's nothing like the Bianchi in Celeste on a warm summers day....ahhh!

I've have people call out compliments about the look of my Bianchi, but not about any of my other bikes. Don't get me wrong, I need something that works (I do about 5k a year on that and the winter bike) but its good to have something with that "je ne sais quoi" - or should I say "non so che"? when you set off on a long ride.

Other bikes just seem to look a bit the same.
  • FSR_XC
    I am just soooo glad that I'm not the only one to admire the bike / colour / curves of the frame etc.

Ya gotta love them Italians when they design something!

I would have to have the pale blue/green colour though . . .

• why werent you able to try out the bianchi ? whatever your heart says you have to try out either of these bikes before you buy one geometry can be very different between brands and comfort and correct fit should come before anything else.
  • bryanm
    bryanm Posts: 218
    Not sure why people rave about Bianchi's so much. They're just another mass produced brand that happens to be mass produced in Italy. There are good Italian bike builders out there, but It's a bit like saying that Italians build cars with passion, and then buying a Fiat Punto.
  • FSR_XC
    why werent you able to try out the bianchi ? whatever your heart says you have to try out either of these bikes before you buy one geometry can be very different between brands and comfort and correct fit should come before anything else.

One reason is they didn't have one in my size.

I have found a dealer just 91 miles away, so I am looking to get a test ride in the new year.

My heart is certainly saying buy the Bianchi at the moment.

• Pretre
    Pretre Posts: 355
    I've just bought a Roubaix Comp & can't praise it highly enough - it's fast, very comfortable (whoever invented Zertz dampers deserves a medal!) & looks great - I bought mine online (after road testing) but had it delivered to my local shop which mostly sells MTB's & all the staff were staring at it, saying how good it looked! :D
  • Pretre wrote:
    I've just bought a Roubaix Comp & can't praise it highly enough - it's fast, very comfortable (whoever invented Zertz dampers deserves a medal!) & looks great -

I've learned from someone that BMW is using the same thing to isolate vibration on motor parts and transmissions, don't know if they call it Zertz or something else...
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    I've got a Allez Sport, as said above 2007 for £599.

It's a great bike, I love it!

Bianchi's are becoming common, but that is not the reason I would buy the Allez....

I wouldn't drive that distance for a bike!

If your LBS is good use them!

I'd have the Allez
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • FSR_XC
    Rich Hcp wrote:
    Bianchi's are becoming common, but that is not the reason I would buy the Allez....

I wouldn't drive that distance for a bike!

If your LBS is good use them!

I'd have the Allez

Rich

Now you've caused me another problem, no matter how much I lust after the Bianchi, my LBS sells the Allez, they're a great dealer, I bought my mtb there and they're let me have an Allez for a day to try it.

I even told them I was considering the Bianchi.

As for the distance - that's one of the disadvantages of living in Cornwall. It also means there aren't many Bianchi's around here - Don't ever recollect seeing one actually.

• The other thing about going with the LBS is that they can sort out any niggles that (almost certainly will) develop. I've had my new roadie in 2 or 3 times in the couple of months since I bought it just to get it 'right' (quick gear adjustments, sorting out a creak from the headset, messing around with different stems etc. 5-10 minute jobs each time that the LBS did for free: great if you're not a bike mechanic). They probably can do this with the Bianchi too, but if you've actually bought it off them it's just easier and they may not even charge you... Your's sound like they're a good bunch - letting you have the bike for a day - and that may be worth its weight in gold over the long term.

And I would agree with other posters: definately try before you buy. I reckon this is more important that anything else. I've had my fingers burnt buying on the basis of 'paper' stats/nice pictures our of the catalogue before. If it feels right it doesn't matter what the stats say or how flash the groupset or paintjob is!
  • everyone is so keen to name and shame lbs on here when service is poor so how about letting us into the secret of this cornish shop, sound like a good bunch....
  • FSR_XC
    everyone is so keen to name and shame lbs on here when service is poor so how about letting us into the secret of this cornish shop, sound like a good bunch....

Certini 8)

Based in Saltash - 2 shops - Specialized Concept store and next door Scott, Giant & (I think) Rocky Mountain dealer.

http://www.certini.co.uk/

They just don't sell Bianchi :cry:

• onurbike
    onurbike Posts: 287
    strange enough I considered the Spech and Bianchi because my budget of £500 ish ould only get a bike with Sora or similar, until I saw a bike called Ridley with 105 which sells for 1000 pounds but to clear the 07 models they 599......I said sod bianchi and spech and gotthe ridley..

I know that my experience may not be of help to you but there are other bikes that are just as good or even better within the price range.

good luck
    Baby elephants are faster than some riders from.... http://www.spokesgroup.com/