MTB Entry Level Shoe Advice

HungryCol
HungryCol Posts: 532
edited December 2007 in MTB beginners
Hi there, Can anyone help me with some advice on a good quality entry level MTB shoe mainly for commuting and the occasional blast down a mountain. They don't have to be this years, must be clipless and come in large sizes 12 to 13 and ideally be bought online.

Thanks guys...

Hungrycol
Every winner has scars.

Comments

• dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Try these at Chain Reaction. Just got a pair myself and they're dead comfy, nice stiff sole and SPD compatible although it did take a bit of head-scratching to work out how to get to the SPD mounts.

Available up to a size 48 which I believe is a 13?
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • pittpony
    pittpony Posts: 1,057
    I use these and am pretty happy with them. My only criticism is they are very slightly on the heavy side but no more so than other shoes i tried around the same price
  • I bought some Shimano MT30s a coupleof years ago to try SPDs and am still using them.Cost me £30 and they have been superb.
    Have a look on line and see if you can still find a par.If not the MT31s are similar.
    As with most Shimano shoes,you may need to buy them one size larger,than your normal size.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Rykard
    Rykard Posts: 582
    I got some Northwave Khameleon 3s last weekend and they are dead comfy. The thing I will advise is try some on. I have small wide feet and couldn't get on with Sidi/Shimano/Nike but the Northwaves were really comfy.
    Cheers
    Rich

A Vision of a Champion is someone who is bent over, drenched with sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching.
  • I would echo the comments about the Shimano MT30's I've got a set I've used for years and they are dead comfy and look reasonably good off the bike too. well worth it if you can find them.
  • Another MT30 fan.
    I don't actually use SPDs (I use V8s) but find the stiff sole very useful.
    Plus you can actually walk in them and don't look TOO much of a muppet in them.
    Two Stumpjumpers, a Rockhopper Disk and an old British Eagle.

http://www.cornwallmtb.kk5.org
  • Thanks guys. I went for the MT31 on chainreactioncycles.co.uk, they didn't have the correct size in the MT30. They're a gift for my brother and he's a size 11 so I went for the 46 as you suggested going one size up. I think size UK11 is Eur45.

Once again thanks for all your advice.
    Every winner has scars.
  • pittpony
    pittpony Posts: 1,057
    Good choice to go a size up as they are a snug fit and your feet swell up when you exercise. I reckon he'll like them, and as an added bonus you might get to see him perform a few comedy falls for your entertainment ;)
  • Sev101
    Sev101 Posts: 56
    I have these

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... TB%20Shoes

Dead comfy and can walk in em ok - plus can buy em on line in your size!!

Happy days!!