Clipless pedals??

songwriter
songwriter Posts: 109
edited December 2007 in Road beginners
What are they? This really is beginner stuff!

I swear I'll answer daft questions myself as soon as I know something.
The scent of these arm-pits is aroma finer than prayer

Comments

• Welcome to the forum!

Clipless pedals, curiously, are pedals with clips (the 'clipless' refers to the fact they replaced the older style toe-clips). They attach to cleats in the sole of specially designed shoes and hold your foot firmly onto the pedal - this reduces the chances of you slipping off the pedal (a good thing) and allows you to pedal on the upstroke as well as the downstroke (a wonderful thing, once you get the hang of it).

On the downside, apparently a lot of people fall off a couple of times until they get used to unclipping when they stop - never happened to me I'm glad to say, so it is avoidable!
    Even if the voices aren't real, they have some very good ideas.
  • Shadowduck wrote:
    Welcome to the forum!

Clipless pedals, curiously, are pedals with clips (the 'clipless' refers to the fact they replaced the older style toe-clips). They attach to cleats in the sole of specially designed shoes and hold your foot firmly onto the pedal - this reduces the chances of you slipping off the pedal (a good thing) and allows you to pedal on the upstroke as well as the downstroke (a wonderful thing, once you get the hang of it).

On the downside, apparently a lot of people fall off a couple of times until they get used to unclipping when they stop - never happened to me I'm glad to say, so it is avoidable!

They're supposed to unclip in the event of a spill, rather than the rider sliding along the deck still attached to their machine (but from personal experience with Time ATACs, this doesn't always happen!) - at least, this was one of the key design objectives of Look's road clipless pedals when first introduced in the mid-80s. Possibly also why the French refer to them, possibly less confusingly, as "automatic" rather than "clipless" pedals.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • Thanks. I'll take em
    The scent of these arm-pits is aroma finer than prayer
  • webbhost
    webbhost Posts: 470
    Neil Young?

Quite honestly never heard of you but I aint good with names.

Clipless pedals are good, as long as you take the time to sit back and drill into your head at first "Turn sideways, dont pull up!. I've not fallen off (yet) but I had a few close calls (Including 1 where I had stopped, went to turn around and unintentionally got my foot clipped in.)

just remember for your clipless pedals to work you need the expensive shoes to go with it!
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    webbhost wrote:
    Neil Young?

Quite honestly never heard of you but I aint good with names.

Clipless pedals are good, as long as you take the time to sit back and drill into your head at first "Turn sideways, dont pull up!. I've not fallen off (yet) but I had a few close calls (Including 1 where I had stopped, went to turn around and unintentionally got my foot clipped in.)

!

never heard of Neil Young :shock: you are obviously Too Young :wink:
    Mind songwriter you could have called yourself "footballer" Neil Young played for Man City in the 60's.
    Talking of clipless pedals though, i had my first unintentional clip-in today as i was crossing a dual carriage and needed to stop in the middle, definitely a scary moment :shock:
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • webbhost
    ouch that sounds like a scary moment..

I looked up neil young on wikipedia... yeah im probably to young to know.. 20 here lol.

If "songwriter" really is neil young, what music did you write? I'll take a listen on Itunes
  • webbhost
    By the way Feel, Im leicecstershire Too, Where in leicestershire you from?
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    webbhost wrote:

I looked up neil young on wikipedia... yeah im probably to young to know.. 20 here lol.

If "songwriter" really is neil young, what music did you write? I'll take a listen on Itunes

Hi Webbhost,
    Songwriter is not old enough to be the real "Neil Young" , but take a listen to the album "Harvest" by Neil Young if you get the chance it might even appeal to a youngster like yourself.
    BTW I can be found doing 30mph down the hills of North Leicester from walton and Seagrave to Twyford and Tilton :D (Unfortunately it's usually preceded by a very slow drag up to the top :oops: )
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • Shadowduck wrote:
    Welcome to the forum!

They're supposed to unclip in the event of a spill, rather than the rider sliding along the deck still attached to their machine (but from personal experience with Time ATACs, this doesn't always happen!) - at least, this was one of the key design objectives of Look's road clipless pedals when first introduced in the mid-80s. Possibly also why the French refer to them, possibly less confusingly, as "automatic" rather than "clipless" pedals.

David

Frankly I wish I could get used to either. For the life of me I cant cycle with the ball of my foot. I HAVE to use my instep. Not the most efficient and at times dodgy because one's foot can easily slide off and forward which means on a bend it can go between the wheel and frame and over you go. I have tried repeatedly. All I know is using my ball leads to aching ankles and knees and yes I have the right size frame for my height. I've been cycling for forty five years flatfooted!
    Old bikes are better
  • feel wrote:
    webbhost wrote:

Hi Webbhost,
    Songwriter is not old enough to be the real "Neil Young" , but take a listen to the album "Harvest" by Neil Young if you get the chance it might even appeal to a youngster like yourself.
    BTW I can be found doing 30mph down the hills of North Leicester from walton and Seagrave to Twyford and Tilton :D (Unfortunately it's usually preceded by a very slow drag up to the top :oops: )

Rust Never Sleeps might be more his bag. One of Nirvana's inspirations allegedly (you do know who Nirvana are don't you?) :D
    <a>road</a>
  • webbhost
    Yeah I haerd of nirvana lol
    BTW I can be found doing 30mph down the hills of North Leicester from walton and Seagrave to Twyford and Tilton (Unfortunately it's usually preceded by a very slow drag up to the top )

Cool, not familiarw ith that area. I am in the coalville area (bike around coalville, market bosworth, twycross etc).

Fastest Speed tracked so far in this area is 38.5 MPH. Fast but not fast enough lol... I need a lighter bike.