assistance please

stueyc
stueyc Posts: 518
edited December 2007 in Road beginners
just fitted new chainset and chain as previous problem with chain randomly droppin off when freewheeling...had gearing index set at lbs yesterday...after bout 15mins of riding today chain kicked off again!!....any suggestions appreciated

Comments

• alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Is the chain too long? Or are the front mech limit screws not set correctly?
  • stueyc
    taken into lbs to get gearing set yesterday..i imagine the adjustments on front mech were set right there?...any advice on chain length check?
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Any good LBS wouldn't have let the bike out with an incorrect chain length or wrongly set limit screws - there are a few cowboys around however.

Chain too long (when in small-small) looks like this:

chain-long3.gif

Just right:

chain-OK6.gif

Just right (largest chain ring, second largest rear cog):

chain-OK1.gif

Too short:

chain-short2.gif

It is also possible that the chainline is wrong - chainset is too far out - bottom bracket axle too wide - again should be spotted by LBS, but perhaps more subtle than the other faults - see this

Bottom line is, its not right so take it back to LBS and ask them to sort it out (shouldn't cost any more as if they fitted the parts originally they didn't do it right).

When I got a Hollowtech II chainset, the LBS forgot to fit a spacer and this put the chainline out - so it can happen (needless to say I got them to fix it, then went to a better LBS after that).
  • stueyc
    Thanks..will have a look tonight,great pictures and advice