Bike & Equipment security when touring

Tedx
Tedx Posts: 16
edited December 2007 in Tour & expedition
Hi Guys

I was just wondering what you all do with your bikes and equipment when touring?

If you stay at a campsite do you leave it all in the tent and lock your bike to a tree?

When you stop at a pub for a beer and a nice pub lunch do you keep it all strapped to the bike.

Do you carry a couple of heavy duty locks or does this cause too much weight?

If you stay at a B&B what do you do with your bike?

Thanks in advance for your answers

Comments

• A flexible cable is useful. Wrap it around a tree or post then pass one end through the other. That way it can reach out to the secure item and stretch to your bike, pass through the frame and the wheels. Lock it to itself.

We use a six or seven foot cable with a small lock for two bikes.

To secure gear we use a pacsafe....
    see http://www.vwvagabonds.com/Bike/BikeSecurity.html

BikeSecurityPacSafe.JPG[/url]
    Latin America & Africa by VW www.vwvagabonds.com

Asia by Recycled Bicycle www.vwvagabonds.com/Bike/BikeHome.html
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Hide it in the most inconspicuous place I can find.
  • Tedx wrote:
    Hi Guys

I was just wondering what you all do with your bikes and equipment when touring?

If you stay at a campsite do you leave it all in the tent and lock your bike to a tree?

When you stop at a pub for a beer and a nice pub lunch do you keep it all strapped to the bike.

Do you carry a couple of heavy duty locks or does this cause too much weight?

If you stay at a B&B what do you do with your bike?

Thanks in advance for your answers

I sometimes locked my bike at camp sites and outside of supermarkets in the UK and France but more often than not I didn't bother. Mind you my bike has a low bling factor as does the luggage. Trees and fences are great immoble objects to chain your bike to. Some camp sites might have secure areas for bikes. Never been afraid of leaving my gear inside the tent when visiting the shops and towns close to the camp sites.

I used a Camelback forcarrying the vital and difficult to replace stuff like money, passport and travel docs along with camera and phone. I think that you'll find that you can put your bike somewhere semi secure e.g. backyard/shed of a B&B and chain it up.
  • Percycp
    Percycp Posts: 230
    <If you stay at a campsite do you leave it all in the tent and lock your bike to a tree?>

Yes.

<When you stop at a pub for a beer and a nice pub lunch do you keep it all strapped to the bike.>

Yes and sometimes stick a D-lock through the back wheel and frame.

<Do you carry a couple of heavy duty locks or does this cause too much weight?>

One medium sized D-lock and one cable.

<If you stay at a B&B what do you do with your bike?>

Stick it in their garage/back yeard/side alley/dining room - there's always somewhere for it.
  • Brains
    Brains Posts: 1,732
    Typically when touring with two bikes we take:

2 x 2m Kyrptonite cables
    1 x micro D-lock
    1 x standard cable lock (just so we have a way of locking each bike independantly for pub/shop stops etc)
    4 x 30cm kyrptonite cables (1 per pannier)

I guess the combined weight is about 2kg

and if going somewhere remotly dodgy then we add the F**k Off Abus Granit D lock which has it's own carrier in place of my front right lowrider on the front fork. Another 2.5kg