Biarritz to Gibraltar

sean02ie
sean02ie Posts: 161
edited December 2007 in Tour & expedition
Looking at a C2C in june. Proposed route is Huesca, Zaragosa, turn right at Utiel, Ciudad Real,Cordoba, Campillos San Rogue. Over 14 days . Any opinions about this route or parts of it would be much appreciated. I'm particuarly interested in the terrain from start to Zaragosa to see if 100k per day is too ambiteous.

Comments

• From a quick calculation you are looking to cover 1300kms in 14 days (nearly 100km aday) over some rolling countryside to start with and some mountainous sections between Zaragoza and Utiel and also Cordoba to Gibralter. I think you would be pushing it a bit!
    The more you spend - the faster you go - the less you see.
  • I crossed from gib to Oloron in france in 3 seeks comfortably with 3 days off. Zaragoza area was hot & dry in may but teh plain was cool and not very sunny a lot of the time - tho' stinningly beautiful.The Alto Tajo park especially - very untouched by man/woman!
    Spain is lumpy but kind, comfy long gradients if you have the gears - even with full camping kit on bike.
    100km a day every day for 14 days without preparation might be a bit much, but if you're younger, fitter and more experienced than I was you might be ok. Google or look at best maps you can find to assess terrain?
    And have fun!!
  • Tim Farr
    Tim Farr Posts: 665
    Sean - Greetings - I remember you from posts about your trip to the Picos. I have no experience of cycling in Spain other than on the North Coast, but I would think that your main concern should be the high temperatures in southern Spain - 40 celsius in Cordoba is truly life threatening. Do you have to go in June? If so I would recommend a very early start and finish to each day.
    T Farr
  • sean02ie
    sean02ie Posts: 161
    Thanks all . Spot on with distance Megilland I could shorten it by about 150K going via Madrid but I feel its a very busy route. Unfortunatly I can't afford more than the two weeks. I should be ok but as Tim says the heat and climbing days might alter the schedule. if that happens I would bus or train a few day over less interesting terrain. Nice to hear from you again Tim. Thanks for highlighting Poncebos and Cares Gorge at that time. Since then I've been back up north Bilbao - Porto and sevilla - malaga via cordoba and almost granada.photos on www.seanoreilly.4t.com