Bar ends? Yes or No

joe boy
joe boy Posts: 53
edited December 2007 in XC and Enduro
Hello xc forum,

I'm putting a light xc bike together for recreation and a touch of racing, when i look and ask around at my mtb club it seems that less people are using bar-ends. My current bike has them and i've got used to using them. So now i'm in two minds, to do the new ride justice i'll need to spend a bit of money on carbon ends, or is it wasted money that could be put to better use?

Please let me know what you think.

Cheers J

Comments

• The only person I know who uses has them on his singlespeed - he thisnk it helps him going up hill.
    As he usually beats me I tend to agree....
  • z000m
    z000m Posts: 544
    its down too personal choice, i use a flat bar but i dont have bar ends, if i was distance riding i might consider them.
  • jontymo
    jontymo Posts: 127
    Hi Joe,
    I pretty new to mtbing but after struggling up hills i decided to give them a go, my mate has them and swears by them, i purchased some Ritchey bar ends and i must admit i tend to use them all the time when on flat and up hill unless its really rough.

Jon
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I'd say it's down to personal preference. If you're used to them put them on your new build.

Personally I had them on my hardtail and used them sometimes. When I got my full susser it didn't have the bar ends and I found I preferred the extra length on my bars so I took them off my hardtail as well.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399
    I got em...love me, everyone else can shut up :oops:

althought they maybe responsible for the snapping of my handlebar (i ve no idea what actually caused it, it must have gone in a crack and got stuck whilst i forced the other side)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • I agree, if you like em use 'em.

I don't have them but I often find myself holding the ends of the bars as though I did have bar ends. Surprising how comfy it is up hills.
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    If your used to them I think you'll miss them if they're not there I personally have them but I think your right less people seem to now, no need to spend a bomb though have a look on crc http://chainreactioncycles.com/Models.a ... elID=18149 seem like a bargain
  • You could try some Cane Creek Ergogrip II, they are compatible with ODI lock-ons and extend fore and aft of the bar. I've got them on my inbred and sworks epic.
  • joe boy wrote:
    ...when i look and ask around at my mtb club it seems that less people are using bar-ends...I've got used to using them.

Who's bike is it and who rides it ?
    Which is more important to you, riding a bike you feel comfortable on or doing what everyone else is doing ?
    I am a mountain biking god.
    Unfortunately, my bike's an atheist.
  • i had some specialized bar ends, but took them off after they slighty crushed my carbon handlebars!!! But maybe i just put them on too tight.

they did help me get up the steepest of hills though :P
  • Managed to get hold of some cheepish carbon bars so am gonna start off without ends and see how i go. thanks for the advice everyone.