An introduction to Sportive events

Peter Harrison
Peter Harrison Posts: 189
edited December 2007 in Road beginners
If you are unsure about taking part in some mega hard sportive event why not try one of the Challenge rides that make up part of the Northern Rock Cyclone www.northernrockcyclone.co.uk. There are rides for all abiities and ages and you can even take part in one of the races that make up part of the whole weekend. There are events and distances to suite all! Northumberland is a great place to cycle. It has traffic free roads and a reputation for the enjoyment of the finer things in life. (Rat race - what's that?) The Region has the lowest density of populatoin in England and the greatest mileage of roads in England. :D :roll:

Comments

• Sounds really good, but the link doesn't work :(
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    keith-a wrote:
    Sounds really good, but the link doesn't work :(

There's a . after the .co.uk

Remove that . and it'll work.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • could be renamed the Virgin Cyclone by June next year :wink:
  • bossman13 wrote:
    could be renamed the Virgin Cyclone by June next year :wink:
    one thing is for sure - the event will go ahead no matter who the headline sponsor is by next June. However I have no reason to believe that there will be a change - the title of Cyclone for the whole weekend will remain no matter what happens in the future. The event is set to grow and grow :D
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    The Cyclone C looks a useful course which at 100 miles is the same distance as this year's Etape du tour and with "only" 600 metres less climbing.

Appreciate that with seven or eight climbs as opposed to two monsters it's a different parcours but I think it looks like a great event so I'm in.

It'd be nice to be reassured about the Virgin association. Not about the sponsorship just that the grinning bearded fool won't be on the start line. :wink:

However if he was on a bike and slipped off his pedals he'd look just like ]
    this
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    I am going to see if Mrs McBain will tolerate me slipping away to ride the "C" category ride - it looks a cracker and since all of my family is from the North East it will be a pleasant route around the old country :)

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • McBain_v1 wrote:
    I am going to see if Mrs McBain will tolerate me slipping away to ride the "C" category ride - it looks a cracker and since all of my family is from the North East it will be a pleasant route around the old country :)
    why not come down for the whole weekend - register for the challenge rides and have a few beers on the friday night. Then do the 100ml ride on the saturday whilst the family ejnoys the pubs, restaurants etc of Northumberland on the saturday whilst you are battering your brains out on either the 62 or 100ml ride. On sunday morning you can then bring all the family up to watch the best riders in the UK "gan lickety split" (an old geordie expression) up the Ryals :D :twisted: :evil:
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    Not an actual sportive but you could have a look at The Hell of the North, run by Darlington council on the first weekend in September. 100 miles and I think only about 1000m of climb, Steady climbing all the way out to Hawes, a bit of a pull up to the Moorcock down to Kirby Steven then the one long climb up and over to Middleton then back to Darlington, A good day out with splendid views, or a wet day out with zero visability. All this and a T shirt for 6 pounds, must be the bargain of the season.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • saif
    saif Posts: 100
    I am relatively new and have started road cycling few months back , also started winter rides only recently . I have signed up for Cat B (62 Miler) at cyclone. I would like to know if there are any similar 30-40 milers going on anywhere else between now and March , so that I can try those to get some confidence ?