Should we sever diplomatic relations with Somalia?

OffTheBackAdam
OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
edited December 2007 in Campaign
Well, that religion of peace and tolerance has shot itself in the foot again. Somebody who's gone over there to help those, whom she's regarded as less fortunate than ourselves, has been seized, imprisoned and now we've got the rent-a-mob baying for her death.
Do the forum members feel it's right for us to keep a civilised relationship with this regime, or once the teacher's safely back home, remove all British citizens, summon their Ambassador and tell him he's now persona non-grata and withdraw the couple of hundreds of millions we give to them every year?
They also refuse to let other countries pursue pirates into there waters and undoubtably harbour El-Quaeda terrorists along with supporting the Islamic Janjaweed militia , who've spread death and misery amongst non-muslim elements of their population.
Also, what's the chance of this thread staying up? Will the mods cack themselves at the mention of Islam in a critical manner and shut ti down before a rent-a-mob besieges the offices of ProCycling?
Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.

Comments

• Isn't it Sudan the teacher has been imprisoned in?

And anyway, a certain country recently passed a law that means insulting religion could lead to the perpetrator getting 7 years in jail. That country is the one that the majority of posters on here live in.
    I was only joking when I said
    by rights you should be bludgeoned in your bed
  • SOMALIA? EL-QUAEDA?

THIS HAS TO BE A JOKE

NOBODY COULD POSSIBLY BE THIS THICK...
  • Brains
    Brains Posts: 1,732
    Sudan has oil
    Therefore Sudan will a good friend of Europe, whatever the Sudanese Government does

The USA/Europe is unlikly to 'liberate' Sudan as we have 'liberated' Iraq, as the Chinese Government has a very large presence there
  • Brains
    Brains Posts: 1,732
    Woops spotted an error here.

Sudan = landlocked country with oil that has a teddy bear called Mohammed

Somalia = Country with no government since 1991 with a Piracy problem that the European navies don't want to get involved in
  • mr_hippo
    mr_hippo Posts: 1,051
    Sudan is not landlocked!

British woman broke Sudanese law, lawfully convicted and sentenced - end of story!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Mmm Sudan and Somalia separated by Ethiopia, one has a big coast and one a small coast.

But back to Sudan did she? or was it the kids that chose the name 20 to 3? She just followed the wishes of the children.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Well, that religion of peace and tolerance has shot itself in the foot again. Somebody who's gone over there to help those, whom she's regarded as less fortunate than ourselves, has been seized, imprisoned and now we've got the rent-a-mob baying for her death.
    Do the forum members feel it's right for us to keep a civilised relationship with this regime, or once the teacher's safely back home, remove all British citizens, summon their Ambassador and tell him he's now persona non-grata and withdraw the couple of hundreds of millions we give to them every year?
    They also refuse to let other countries pursue pirates into there waters and undoubtably harbour El-Quaeda terrorists along with supporting the Islamic Janjaweed militia , who've spread death and misery amongst non-Muslim elements of their population.
    Also, what's the chance of this thread staying up? Will the mods cack themselves at the mention of Islam in a critical manner and shut ti down before a rent-a-mob besieges the offices of ProCycling?

Worth noting that Sudan has been left on their own on this one, no other Muslim countries have backed them and British Muslims have been admirably swift to condemn.
    Secondly she was working at a private school, not exactly helping those less fortunate than herself, as deplorable as this whole affair has been it does seem worth pointing out that Gibbons is not a charity worker..
    Thirdly, of course the whole thing is ridiculous, but the suffering of those in Darfur somewhat outweighs the suffering of Gillian Gibbons, and our cutting off of aid would do far more harm than good.
    I see that she has now been officially pardoned anyway!
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    They also refuse to let other countries pursue pirates into there waters and undoubtably harbour El-Quaeda terrorists along with supporting the Islamic Janjaweed militia , who've spread death and misery amongst non-Muslim elements of their population.

Worth noting that Sudan has been left on their own on this one, no other Muslim countries have backed them and British Muslims have been admirably swift to condemn.
    Secondly she was working at a private school, not exactly helping those less fortunate than herself, as deplorable as this whole affair has been it does seem worth pointing out that Gibbons is not a charity worker..Thirdly, of course the whole thing is ridiculous, but the suffering of those in Darfur somewhat outweighs the suffering of Gillian Gibbons, and our cutting off of aid would do far more harm than good.

WTF has this got to do with anything apart from in the minds of the left wing who seem to think thatit is a crime to do anything to help those who may have money?

Are the Human Rights considerations only applicable to those the trendy leftie consider victims and anyone teaching in a private school deserves to be denied any basic human rights.
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • spen666 wrote:
    WTF has this got to do with anything apart from in the minds of the left wing who seem to think thatit is a crime to do anything to help those who may have money?

Are the Human Rights considerations only applicable to those the trendy leftie consider victims and anyone teaching in a private school deserves to be denied any basic human rights.

I think the poster is addressing the point that some people have said she is out there helping the Sudanese people in a charitable way, and that Sudan should be grateful for her being there and not treating her so badly because of this.

Not that we British are ever patronising to other countries in that way.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Not at all but many people seem to be taking the view "oh she went over there to help and look how they treated her." I utterly deplore the way she has been treated but it just annoys me that people are up in arms about her treatment, talking about withdrawing support etc, but no one seemed bothered about the far more serious issue of Darfur. The whole thing is just a cultural misunderstanding, but surely she would have been better served reading up on Sharia law before she took the post? If I moved to an Islamic country I think I'd familiarise myself with their laws first, after all they tend to be radically different to ours.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    whether she was there to teach kids in a private school, on a holiday ora charity worker is irrelevant.

It has as much relevance to the issue as saying that the sudanese are blacks and so it is to be expected (or she is a scouser so deserves what she got!). It has nothing to do with the treatment of her the people she was teaching. In the same way that the skin colour of people in sudan has nothing to do with the issue.
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • spen666 wrote:
    whether she was there to teach kids in a private school, on a holiday ora charity worker is irrelevant.

It has as much relevance to the issue as saying that the sudanese are blacks and so it is to be expected (or she is a scouser so deserves what she got!). It has nothing to do with the treatment of her the people she was teaching. In the same way that the skin colour of people in sudan has nothing to do with the issue.

Agreed, and that is why the tenor of some people's argument is offensive. That she somehow deserved to be treated better than if she was not a British teacher, because she was there helping poor little Sudanese kids.
  • You're right about he scouser bit though spen
    Dan
  • I don't think the punisment fits the crime. Then again I'm not making legislation over there.
    Every winner has scars.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    spen666 wrote:

Your slip's showing.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Does Somalia even have any "Diplomats" to sever diplomatic relations with?

Dennis Noward
  • I've decided to go into business making Teddy bears.

I'll make a Prophet

:roll:
  • ivancarlos
    ivancarlos Posts: 1,034
    Slightly O/T If the name is sacred why is it ok to call people it. A person could bring so much more dishonour upon the name than an inanimate object. And teddy bears are not real animals.
    I have pain!
  • Anonymous
    No sh!t Sherlock.
  • ivancarlos
    ivancarlos Posts: 1,034
    whitley wrote:
    No sh!t Sherlock.

I didn't get where i am today by being afraid to state the obvious :wink:
    I have pain!
  • but surely she would have been better served reading up on Sharia law before she took the post? If I moved to an Islamic country I think I'd familiarise myself with their laws first, after all they tend to be radically different to ours.

I have checked up on some of the local laws here (although this is not a muslim state, but a country where muslims make up the majority of the population) and apparantly masturbation is illegal here........be honest, would it stop you, would it? :D:D
  • iainment
    iainment Posts: 992
    spen666 wrote:

Secondly she was working at a private school, not exactly helping those less fortunate than herself, as deplorable as this whole affair has been it does seem worth pointing out that Gibbons is not a charity worker..Thirdly, of course the whole thing is ridiculous, but the suffering of those in Darfur somewhat outweighs the suffering of Gillian Gibbons, and our cutting off of aid would do far more harm than good.

She was a fool, convicted by a foolish law, made by foolish religious adherents - they all seem to deserve each other in my opinion.

Anyone going willingly to such a barbaric poor backward state to help the privileged is beneath contempt.
    Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    spen666 wrote:

I read it simply as a correction to the first post of the thread which states she went out there to help those less fortunate than herself.

It would add an extra degree of outrage had her motivation for being there been simply to help poor somalian children - though I'm sure most agree that if she was working with better off children this still doesn't make her imprisonment unworthy of condemnation.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • She was a fool, convicted by a foolish law, made by foolish religious adherents - they all seem to deserve each other in my opinion.

Anyone going willingly to such a barbaric poor backward state to help the privileged is beneath contempt.[/quote]

well put - my sympathy for her waned as we learnt more details of the case and my enlightened and liberal views on theocratic states like the Sudan took a bit of a hammering too.
    :?
    nice to see we have not descended completely into cab-driver politics here.
    "There are holes in the sky,
    Where the rain gets in.
    But they're ever so small
    That's why rain is thin. " Spike Milligan
  • mr_hippo
    mr_hippo Posts: 1,051
    edited December 2007
    iainment wrote:
    She was a fool, convicted by a foolish law, made by foolish religious adherents - they all seem to deserve each other in my opinion.
    Anyone going willingly to such a barbaric poor backward state to help the privileged is beneath contempt.

Are there not some 'foolish' laws in the UK? If you were to be convicted under some 'foolish' law, what would your defence be? You can't convict me because it is a 'foolish' law.
    'Foolish religious adherents' - haven't we got those as well? JWs sacrificing their own lives for want of a blood transfusion, for example.
    'Barbaric poor backward state' UK has chavs, could be considered 'barbaric' - Poor; everyone in the UK is above the poverty limit? Backward - a few people can't tell the difference between Sudan & Somalia, education standards in the UK are abysmal.

Living and working in a foreign country is vastly different than spending two weeks on holiday. Before accepting a job, if you feel that you cannot comply with the country's laws/culture or climate or your pay and conditions, do not go!

Now to book my flight back to the UK, sharpen my arrows, then find a Welshman on Chester's city walls at 2am and kill him!
  • Anonymous
    mr_hippo wrote:
    iainment wrote:

Are there not some 'foolish' laws in the UK? If you were to be convicted under some 'foolish' law, what would your defence be? You can't convict me because it is a 'foolish' law.
    'Foolish religious adherents' - haven't er got those as well? JWs sacrificing their own lives for want of a blood transfusion, for example.
    'Barbaric poor backward state' UK has chavs, could be considered 'barbaric' - Poor; everyone in the UK is above the poverty limit? Backward - a few people can't tell the difference between Sudan & Somalia, education standards in the UK are abysmal.

Living and working in a foreign country is vastly different than spending two weeks on holiday. Before accepting a job, if you feel that you cannot comply with the country's laws/culture or climate or your pay and conditions, do not go!

Now to book my flight back to the UK, sharpen my arrows, then find a Welshman on Chester's city walls at 2am and kill him!

"You may be intelligent but your posting is mangled,and you come across as low class and uneducated and therefore your opinion is worthless".

Ring any bells?