LBS ordering different bikes from their normal range

redddraggon
redddraggon Posts: 10,862
edited December 2007 in Road beginners
I'm currently saving towards getting a new bike, however due to my bad luck so far with my bikes I'm going to buy a bike locally, rather than by mail order which I had intended.

The only problem is that there is only 4 proper LBS within reasonable distance and they only seem to stock the normal range of Cannondales, Treks, Specializeds and Giants within my planned budget of about £1500.

I don't quite fancy what these bikes offer for the money, carbon but 105, and I quite fancy something like a Bianchi B4P 1885 TB Hydro Carbon Centaur 10 speed Double 2008 Road Bike RRP at evans seems to be £1300

I don't actually intend to get the bike until next spring, so I'll leave actually contacting the shops until nearer the time.

Has anyone found their LBS keen or unwilling to do something like that?
I like bikes...

Twitter
Flickr

Comments

• a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    sure bicycle doctor in manc does bianchi?
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • redddraggon
    a_n_t wrote:
    sure bicycle doctor in manc does bianchi?

Bicycle Doctor isn't actually that far from where I will be living in Manchester but I'm not going to be back in Manchester for another year, so I need to get a bike in the North East Wales area as I don't have a car and I'll be relying on my bike disliking parents to give me a lift to where ever I need to get it from.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    I see :wink:
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • Hi Red,

Don't get too hung up on fitments spec. There is absolutely nothing wrong with 105. The weight saving speccing up will give you is less than you would save by having a pee before you ride, but the damage to your wallet is huge. Spend your dough on the frame, that is the important bit which can't be upgraded later.
    Perpetuating the myth that Lincolnshire is flat.
  • redddraggon
    Hi Red,

Don't get too hung up on fitments spec. There is absolutely nothing wrong with 105. The weight saving speccing up will give you is less than you would save by having a pee before you ride, but the damage to your wallet is huge. Spend your dough on the frame, that is the important bit which can't be upgraded later.

I'm not weight speccing, I don't actually know how much the bike weighs and it probably weighs more than other bikes in the price range. I want Campag rather than Shimano mainly because of the washing line effect, I've got Sora bikes and technically I find nothing wrong with them, but if I'm paying over a grand I don't want the washing lines. I also don't like the idea that I'm paying £1300 for 105, when I could get Ultegra for £1000 online - but I'd rather Campag anyway.

I haven't seen a Trek, Cannondale, Specialized, or Giant that I like aesthetically yet. I like the look of the frame on the Bianchi. As you say you can save more weight by going to the toilet before going on a ride, so the Alloy isn't problem as it won't be massively heavier than a comparatively specced carbon bike.

And finally I quite fancy an Italian Labelled bike (whether or not it's built in taiwan doesn't bother me)
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • redddraggon
    I'm guessing that no one has got the LBS to order them a bike outside their normal range?

(If I was to get it in Manchester - it would be easy with both Evans and Bicycle Doctor, but alas I want it 4months earlier that I go back and that 4months is summer and looking rather free for a long ride each day.)
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Are you near Holyhead? If so what about these guys: http://www.westendcycles.com/cgi-bin/sh ... 3a803#a803

They stock Wilier, and if you want Italina for £1500 then the Wilier Mortirolo is your best bet, it's a great bike as others on this forum will attest.
  • TomF
    TomF Posts: 494
    Do you know what size you need?

If so, give Rick Green cycles in Handforth (v close to Manchester) a call. they stock Bianchi, and are a v good family run LBS.

If nothing else, it's just a train ride away form NE Wales....

Tom
  • redddraggon
    TomF wrote:
    If nothing else, it's just a train ride away form NE Wales....

Thanks for that, I never thought of that. Good old fashioned thinking outside of the box.

I spent my first two years at uni going backwards and forwards to Manchester on the train every weekend so it's not too bad.

I think I'll look into Bicycle Doctor as that's really close to where I live in Manchester when I'm in uni and they stock Bianchis. And there's always Evans.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr