Cateye EL320 bracket

davidncohen
davidncohen Posts: 17
edited December 2007 in Workshop
I have Cateye EL320, which I'm reasonably happy with.

However, it comeswith an H34 Flex-Tight bracket. My experience of these has not been good - the tightning knob on them either gets "stuck" or is very hard to turn, and this bracket constantly gets loose on the bars.

So are there any other known fixings / brackets for the EL320?

All help appreciated.

David

Comments

• Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    I have Cateye EL320, which I'm reasonably happy with.

However, it comeswith an H34 Flex-Tight bracket. My experience of these has not been good - the tightning knob on them either gets "stuck" or is very hard to turn, and this bracket constantly gets loose on the bars.

So are there any other known fixings / brackets for the EL320?

All help appreciated.

David

Not much help to you, I know, I too have been really disappointed with the bracket for the new Cateyes-the old cam mechanism version was much more robust easier to instal and tighten, and gave a rock steady mount

I can imagine why it was changed

Perhaps Cateye need some feedback

I certainly won't be buying any more

Have a look at the B and M LEDs at Dotbike-brighter than the 530, and a much better light throw....oh and a better bracket
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • Thanks for the tips. I took a look at Cateye's website but nothing in their knowledge base so I have contacted them with a question (although there contact form only has a one line field for the actual question, which is a bit naff).

David
  • Jashin
    Jashin Posts: 164
    If this is a front light then the older style fixtures will work just as well.
  • Steve I
    Steve I Posts: 428
    I've found them to work well although they do need to tightened up firmly, they definitely don't self loosen.

You could either use one of the older cam style quick release brackets or try tightly wrapping a piece of inner tube around the bars fixed with a small piece of insulation tape. Fit the H34 bracket over the rubber to give more grip, it shouldn't move at all if tightened up reasonably.
  • What I did was use a handlebar extension bracket (that takes a light and a bell), cut up an old inner tube (as suggested), and this seems to have worked reasonably well so far.

I took a look at the B&M lights and they do look pretty good.

Thanks to everyone who contributed.

David