Favourite racing this year

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited December 2007 in Pro race
Inspired by Afx's post today where he mentioned the final day of Paris-Nice this year being the best days racing this year.

What has been your favourite day?

And biggest let down?

Sticking to the racing only.

Fave : Final of Paris-Nice or the Worlds.

Let Down : Zoncolan stage of Giro.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• kmahony
    kmahony Posts: 380
    iainf72 wrote:
    Inspired by Afx's post today where he mentioned the final day of Paris-Nice this year being the best days racing this year.

What has been your favourite day?

And biggest let down?

Sticking to the racing only.

Fave : Final of Paris-Nice or the Worlds.

Let Down : Zoncolan stage of Giro.

Favorite: Last day of Paris Nice. Tour in London.
    Let down: Agree on the Zonocolan. Also Paris Roubaix. Rest of the Tour.
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    Fave moments of 2007 were watching Contador and Rasmussen duke it out in the Tour. Very inspiring, helped me with my hill climbing too.
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • Favourite moment: Millar's break through Kent on stage one of the Tour

Let down: conclusion of Liege Bastogne Liege. Gash camera work by Eurosport and the other favourites letting Di Luca steal victory really
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    Highlights: Tour de France stage 14, last 10 K's and Gent-Wevelgem

Let down: Tour de Georgia
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    My most memorable this year was when Marcus Burghardt hit the dog and his carbon front wheel crumpled and the dog walked away wagging it's tail on stage 9 of the TdF
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Favourite day of racing - the TdF Prologue, the atmosphere was incredible.

Favourite moment - the descent of the Cormet de Roselend: the sight of rustling trees, then David Arroyo climbing back up out of the shrubbery!

Have to agree that the Zoncolan stage was a real let-down.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • G man
    G man Posts: 57
    Favourite day - watching the Tour prologue in London. It was incredible.
    Biggest let down- Contador winning the Tour.
    respectez le bitumen
  • Fave racing - Sandy Casars move to take a stage victory in the TDF.
    Watching Soler in the mountains.
    Linus Gerdemanns stage victory.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Fav day of racing : Stueys Paris Roubaix win, mind you id say that about PR all the time as its the most incrediblel day of racing on the calendar.

Best Stage Day : Solers win into Briancon with Contadors attack on the Galibier a highlight

Worst : LBL huge anti climatic finish with sh*t camerawork .

As for Zoncolan i didnt think it was that bad !

cheers
    MG
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • I agree with the Zoncolan being an anti climax..

The worlds this year was a cracking race
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Best day: Prologue in London
    Wost: The "grand finale" of the Tour of Ireland. What a fooking joke.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Favourite: Giro finish at Briancon. Really whet my appeite for my visit there in June
    Most disappointing: TdF finish at Briancon not taking the same route as the Giro.
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • Doom
    Doom Posts: 133
    vermooten wrote:
    Fave moments of 2007 were watching Contador and Rasmussen duke it out in the Tour. Very inspiring, helped me with my hill climbing too.

Have to say that was the most unbelievable moment of 2007. How many attacks can you humanly muster with that little recovery in between before your body gives up??? :roll:
    FCN: 4
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    Hillingdon
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Favourite: Giro finish at Briancon. Really whet my appeite for my visit there in June
    Most disappointing: TdF finish at Briancon not taking the same route as the Giro.

Oh I forgot about that! That was an amazing finish.
  • Favourite Day of racing on tellyvisual box - Tour of Flanders. Unseasonal weather and good to see Cancellara having a dig in the closing part of the race and Boonen coming majorly unstuck when he was expected to walk it. Interesting to note that Ballan *just* got around Hoste in literally the last 5 pedal revs. If you watch it in slow-mo that's all it took to win the Ronde.
    Best day watching - Prologue, very proud to be a part of it, shame about the race when the drugs stories started coming in.

Worst day - Worlds - every year it;s a complete yawn fest. Lap after lap after interminable lap. It's like MIlan San Remo - only interesting in the last few k, if that. Let's face it, last year's race only got exciting with a k to go because of some clever gap opening skills and quick thinking by the 4 main protagonists and this year I was shouting at Schumacher to stop being a nervous twonk on home turf and actually grab the race by the scruff of the neck. But oh no, he looks like a match sprinter and they all end up watching each other. At least bettini managed to shout enough at them to keep them out front.
  • alanmcn1
    alanmcn1 Posts: 531
    Best - Cancellara's stage win in TdF when he shot out with a K to go and pipped the sprinters, finest piece of riding this year (I have opted to erase all memory of the farcical superman action after that)

Worst - totally agree with Zoncolan. A mountian that tough is always going to be a mass exercise in self preservation
    Robert Millar for knighthood
  • Timoid. wrote:
    Best day: Prologue in London
    Wost: The "grand finale" of the Tour of Ireland. What a fooking joke.

The TdF prologue or Stage 1 (I was in Canterbury for the finish - brilliant day out) are going to be hard to beat - some people were even lucky enough to attend both!
    Watched the final Tour of Ireland stage on ITV and agree that the Dublin finish was an absolute farce. Hope the race officials didn't make a trip to St. James's Gate afterwards and attempt to organise a p***-up at the Guinness Brewery....

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal