best alternatives to V12s?

strak
strak Posts: 439
edited December 2007 in MTB buying advice
cant fault them on my 5.10s, but is there any lighter quality alternatives with equal or better grip? cheers

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Try the magnesium Wellgo 'version' - the MG1. Sheds a good 160g, and uses the same bearings and axle as the V12. Can be got on ebay for 20 quid or so! Wellgo actually make the pedals for DMR.
  • jbford
    jbford Posts: 101
    Burgtec Penthouse Flats are the perfect match to FIVE TENS.

Although £150 is serious money for pedals!
  • strak
    380g / pair not bad!
    Are these wellgo MG1s seriously up to FR though? ive seen the magnesium rockers on ellsworths going like twigs under XC use doesnt inspire confidence in Magnesium?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i use v12 mags on the bionicon and stumpy and havent broken them yet. bear in mind im 19 stone so if anyone is gonna break em, itd probably be me!!
  • strak
    cheers have you hit any decent drops with flatish landings? ta
  • supersonic
    Cast magneisum is what fork lowers are made from, its light, but great strength to weight ratio. If its weight savings you want, they are definitely worth a shout, and I dont know of any problems with them.

The toughest pedal I have used is the Planet X X-wing. No longer available, but Wellgo do a version:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=5207

Not the ultimate grip of a pinned flat, but that steel cage can take a hell of a beating. Ive smashed mine into some big rocks and landed some flat drops, dont even flinch. You can snap teeth off to to increase the grip if needs be. There is a mag bodied one too.
  • rob cole
    rob cole Posts: 706
    Are these wellgo MG1s seriously up to FR though? ive seen the magnesium rockers on ellsworths going like twigs under XC use doesnt inspire confidence in Magnesium?

Magnesium pedals are more than strong enough for freeride, BMX riders also use magnesium pedals with no problems....

the rockers that broke on the Ellsworth Epiphany were from an early batch where the factory got the magnesium / aluminium ratio slightly wrong - any that broke were replaced under warranty with the new rocker that has more aluminium than magnesium and is slightly heavier, and is a duller silver colour rather than the gold of the original
    check out my riding - www.robcole.co.uk Banshee Factory Team rider, Da Kine UK Team rider, www.freeborn.co.uk www.eshershore.com
  • strak
    i guess the real strength in question then is that of the axle, are they steel across the board or some Ally?
    Why do the MX30 DX seem to snap a few - Have they thinne dthe axle to much towards the end to save weight?
  • supersonic
    The axles on wellgo are the same as DMR - solid cromo!
  • you can buy Ti ones for the v12's though...
  • supersonic
    You can, people report them to flex a bit more (and creak!). Option for MG1 to have Ti too - personally I'd stick to cromo unless you are just riding xc and trails.