How do you remove the pads on Avid Juicy 5's?

andyturner28
andyturner28 Posts: 1,225
edited December 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
I know this has probably been asked before, but i have lost the manual and the new search is a bit pant's. I got board after 5 pages :)

Cheers,

Andy.

Comments

• Just pinch the two 'stalks' together (I used flat pliers) and pull. You may find the little wire spring stays in there but it sooms comes out with a tease of a flat bladed screwdriver.
    In theory you should be able to remove/insert these pads without tools.

P
  • Thanks mate, i'll give it a go tomorrow, if Herbert's has the pads in stock.

Cheers,

Andy.
  • Herberts as in Whitstable...?

Good luck!
  • Well that was a bit more fiddley than i thought it would be. Think it is easyer changing car pads! I could'nt get the old pads out without removing the retaining clip, then it took about 4million attempts to get the pistons back in their boars enough to get the new pads in. I literally had to hammer a large screwdriver inbetween the old pads! Oh well, sorted now, and the old ones were completely knackered, probably about 1 thou of matearial left!

Oh and Herbert's had Avid and Aztec pads in stock :D

Cheers,

Andy.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    It's not that difficult once you're used to it, I take my pads out of my Juicy 7's fairly regularly (did wonder if you would know about the retaining clip, sorry, should've posted earlier).
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • stumpyjon wrote:
    It's not that difficult once you're used to it, I take my pads out of my Juicy 7's fairly regularly (did wonder if you would know about the retaining clip, sorry, should've posted earlier).

No worries mate, i figured it out in the end.

I have to change the front pads as well soon and was just wondering, which are the best pads for XC use? My lbs dose Aztec pads as well and i think i remember reading somewhere that they are better than the Avid's. He said he prefers Avid pads so i went with them, but what do you guy's think?

Cheers,

Andy.
  • bob4
    bob4 Posts: 23
    Sram website and download the pdf on juicy 5s
  • bob4 wrote:
    Sram website and download the pdf on juicy 5s

?? I'v changed them already :?