No hands

tardington
tardington Posts: 1,379
edited December 2007 in Commuting chat
Can anyone do this with any confidence? I saw a bloke going along with arms folded, and it was pretty cool...I had a go today going across the Meadows in edinburgh... Couldn't take my hands of for more than a few seconds with out veering to the side :? A cyclist coming the other wayt frowned at me 8)

Um, there's not practical reason I need to be able to do this. I just want to be able to! Maybe if I take up pipe smoking on audax rides?

Comments

• secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Used to cycle for miles on a bike path no hands

The trick is to sit with plenty of weight on the back wheel, upright

Helps if bike is fairly stable, a mud-plugger might be easier than a race machine.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • tardington
    Hmm, have a bar bag. Maybe relocate it.

My new year resolution is to overtake up hill, while reading the paper. 8)
  • jam1ec
    jam1ec Posts: 64
    Also lean left to steer left, right to steer right. and its easier when you are moving quicker :)
    FCN : 1
  • Belv
    Belv Posts: 866
    edited November 2007
    I have found that it helps to keep pedaling while you're hands-free, but not too sure why. It could be because more speed means more gyroscopic force wanting to keep the bike going in a straight line. Looking a long way ahead improves balance.

Have been known to remove and then rummage through my ruck sack on the go. I've been cycling for so long, i'm not exactly sure how i do it - just do.
  • Plax
    Plax Posts: 33
    I used to be able to cycle with no hands as a matter or course as a small child. I tried it the other day when I wanted to zip my coat up. Gave up in the end, I was all over the shop!
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Did it as a kid the whole time, had to re-learn how to do it on a roadie. I find it handy for when I'm faffing about trying to get food out of my jersey pockets, or taking a jacket off etc. Nice to be able to do things on the move!
  • Last winter I saw a guy cycle through red lights, weave between the flowing traffic and continue with touching the bars.

I was gob smacked! I stood at the lights thinking, how did he get away with that, he must have been on drugs?
    15 * 2 * 5
    * 46 = Happiness
  • rrsodl
    rrsodl Posts: 486
    I can now do it on both bikes. I started doing it on my road bike and once a master the technique I tried with my MTB.

To begin with I could let go of the handlebar without pedalling for a few seconds, then I introduce pedalling. I think you must do it at a speed greater than 12 miles/hr

Good luck

Rick
  • Vivica
    Vivica Posts: 68
    Riding with no hands is very easy if you're really used to your bike, on my bike i can happily have both hands and one foot off at once, but obviously not for too long, as my speed drops...
    I used to be able to almost stop my bike using my right foot on my front wheel with no hands on the bars, don't do that anymore for many reasons... Don't want to ruin shoes, i have working brakes... Oh, and my current bike has mudguards!

Nothings are the hardest thing to do, as long as you have one foot on a pedel, you're fine, but take them both off and its almost entirely down to your weight distribution.
    I rarely ride with no hands these days though, they provide too much power. Strong arms = faster times, its as simple as that.

When riding casually round to the shops i might take my hands off, but its not really something i think about doing, know what i mean?

When it comes down to it, riding with hands on your bars is the way to go, its faster to start with, and more importantly, how are you going to use your brakes?
    Riding with no hands may be a comfortable break, but it shouldn't be encouraged for any more than a quick sit up and stretch.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I find it a bit tricky (although not impossibel on the Brompton.

Myself & two mates did once ride from North Oxford to West Oxford no hands all the way. I was on a BMX.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Used to be able to do this as a kid but hadn't tried it for ages until recently when I found myself on a long straight level road with very little traffic and plucked up the courage to try again. Very quickly found that I could remove my hands from the bars for long periods and take corners by leaning.

I'd agree with some of the other posters that it isn't the safest thing to do and wouldn't do it around other traffic. It's just a very useful skill to be able to access pockets etc whilst on the move and probably helps improve my balance overall so whenever I get chance I'll give it a go just to make sure I keep being able to do it.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    On my old MTB with gears I could ride with just feet on pedals and thighs gripping the saddle, ie stood up. Can handle no hands on my SS, till I get used to the handling will stick to having my large ass on the saddle whilst hands free.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    I can put on (and remove) a rain jacket whilst riding. Don't tend to do it these days as I'm older and wiser.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    RRSODL wrote:
    I can now do it on both bikes. I started doing it on my road bike and once a master the technique I tried with my MTB.

at the same time? That's some trick
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Like others said, I used to be able to do it as a kid. Not so good at it now, but I think it's a very valuable skill. For a start, I think if you're confident with no hands on the bars, you tend to be more confident with one hand on the bar too, which makes for better signalling. Having both hands off is great for zipping up jackets, or grabbing stuff out of back pockets.
    mrBen

"Carpe Aptenodytes"
    JediMoose.org
  • mtb.boy
    mtb.boy Posts: 208
    I used to stand on my BMX toptube and put my hands up above my head. But that was on an empty lane going slightly downhill.

Oh- and I was 10 at the time, with no fear. Being older I now get scared taking my hands off for more than 5 seconds.
    The first rule of cycling is - Tell everyone how great cycling is.

The second rule of cycling is - Tell everyone how great cycling is !!!!
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Come on chaps tis is rediculous,i cannot believe that aduls can encourage each other to ride with no hands.Remember if you fall or are hit by another vehicle at that time then you really do not have a leg to stand on as far as the law is concerned. We should be setting an example on the roads. There are enough vehicle driving cycle haters out there,and riding with no hands will only make it worse.
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • mtb.boy
    mtb.boy Posts: 208
    I only used to do it on my back lane - no cars. I would never consider doing it on a public road. Something (dog/cat) or someone (kid/adult) could walk out in front of you and ruin your day.
    The first rule of cycling is - Tell everyone how great cycling is.

The second rule of cycling is - Tell everyone how great cycling is !!!!
  • ademort wrote:
    Come on chaps tis is rediculous,i cannot believe that aduls can encourage each other to ride with no hands.Remember if you fall or are hit by another vehicle at that time then you really do not have a leg to stand on as far as the law is concerned. We should be setting an example on the roads. There are enough vehicle driving cycle haters out there,and riding with no hands will only make it worse.

I disagree. Being able to ride without hands improves your confidence and balance when riding with hands, and makes you a lot safer in general. For instance, the improved balance will make you wobble less when you look behind you, which is good thing.

I agree that riding without hands in heavy traffic, or in situations where there are a lot of peds likely to step into the road, is dangerous and should be avoided, but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.
    mrBen

"Carpe Aptenodytes"
    JediMoose.org
  • There is a classic photograph of Stephen Roach riding in the roll out of the peleton during the Giro, and he was reading the newspaper and riding no hands.

Good skill to muster if you can, obviously to be used with discretion.
    If you see the candle as flame, the meal is already cooked.
    Photography, Google Earth, Route 30
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    There is a classic photograph of Stephen Roach riding in the roll out of the peleton during the Giro, and he was reading the newspaper and riding no hands.

Good skill to muster if you can, obviously to be used with discretion.

No so sure Mr Roche was being as discrete as he could be! Would be even more impressive if he was doing it as they went up the Alp de' Huiez (sp) or something similar
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • roche-reading.jpg

Not only was he a realy smart ar$e riding no hands AND reading the newspaper, but he was reading an italian newspaper, Gazzetta Della Sport.
    If you see the candle as flame, the meal is already cooked.
    Photography, Google Earth, Route 30
  • I very occasionally ride for no hands for a couple of seconds if I need both hands to adjust a zip or something, but generally as I'm almost always riding in an urban environment I'd rather keep my hands close to my brakes.

I'm not sure how much riding no hands helps your balance when riding normally as with no hands you tend to be sat bolt upright, unlike the forward-leaning posture you have when riding normally.

One thing I found recently is my tendency to veer to the side when signalling and braking at the same time. I have to work hard to prevent it and I couldn't work it out at first. The other day I realised what's happening. When I have only one hand on the handlebars and are braking, my bike slows and my own momentum pushes me forwards. When using both hands that forward pressure acts upon both sides of my bars equally, whereas when only one hand is down the pressure acts on that side only. I probably need to brace myself with my legs more when doing that kind of maneuver.
  • pw1brown
    pw1brown Posts: 243
    ademort wrote:

No hands AND no legs - tricky.
  • pw1brown wrote:
    ademort wrote:

No hands AND no legs - tricky.

Clever dick
    mrBen

"Carpe Aptenodytes"
    JediMoose.org
  • tardington
    You could do it down hill, maybe? I'm going to assume you'd fall off in pretty short order, so I don't think I'll try it. 8)
  • clarkson
    clarkson Posts: 1,641
    have a rearward weight distribution and upright. on my lazy days, most of the commute is no handed. well, on the cycle tracks anyway!
    I said hit the brakes not the tree!!

2006 Specialized Enduro Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3192886/

2008 Custom Merlin Malt 4
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2962222/

2008 GT Avalanche Expert
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3453980/
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    I've only just got the hang of one handed (taught myself to ride 4 months ago at the age of 24) so I don't think I'll try no hands quite yet.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010