Date for next year's Tour of Flanders?

snakeeater
snakeeater Posts: 113
edited December 2007 in Pro race
Does anyone know the date for next years tour of flanders? I'm thinking of booking time off to spend a long weekend there.

Also, if anyone has good links or advice on great ways to follow and watch the race could they post details please?

Much appreciated, S~

Comments

• mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    05/04/2008

Registration here: http://www.sport.be/cyclingtour/rondeva ... /2008/eng/

Weekend away a great idea, Have done it twice (not this year) stayed in Ghent and watched the pros on the Muur on Sunday - fantastic!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The course is listed on the website - but on the day it appears though half of Flanders is following the race. Many of the locals make the effort to try and catch the race in 3 or 4 places - they know all the routes whereas trying to follow it by road map is difficult as you don't know which roads are closed and where you can leave the car for a quick get-away. The Kwaremont, Paterberg, Koppenberg and Muur are very busy on the day. There's a big screen in Gerardsbergen, so it's a great place to watch the finale. The atmosphere on the Muur is awesome - huge crowds means don't expect to be able to move much once you get there. I'll probably look to get to the start in Bruges, head across to the Kwaremont and then head to Gerardsbergen for the finish.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Do the sportive (as MM1's link above) on the Saturday and it gives you a whole new insight into how hard banging up those cobbled climbs actually is. 3 road routes to chose from 75km, 140km (which includes all the famous climbs in the last half of the race) and the mad full monty.

Then watch the pros do it with ease the next day! :shock:
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Yup, that's me the full monty! Looking to do the full 265km on Saturday - you can't go all that way without the full blown, steak frites and beer the night before (4 glasses of Leffe is good for carbo loading!) a 6am start and 9-10 hours in the saddle!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • thanks for that. Sorry for late reply but wife was giving birth and all that. Just about recovered now :lol: I think the 140km one is best for me!
  • It's almost impossible for a novice to see the RvV passing in so many places as the Belgians do. I have often done it with my Belgian son-in-law, who was born and bred in the area, it's crazy mans work! He, and others, even drive backwards up motorway exits just to get an extra sighting of the race. I would say watch the start then try and see at least two climbs then get away early for the finish as you will have to park miles away and walk. There is also a giant screen at the finish.

If you have time don't forget to visit the 'Tour of Flanders' museum at Oudenaarde. A few years ago I had Tom Simpson's bronze bust moved there from the Ghent track. Dave Marsh restored and donated Tom's Tour of Flanders bike to the museum. Tom won the Tour of Flanders at a very young age, his bust and bike are just about the most important exhibits on display.

http://www.crvv.org/EN/index.php?master ... bmenu_id=0

Don't forget to lubricate your limbs with plenty of 'Trapist' beer!
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    edited December 2007
    It's almost impossible for a novice to see the RvV passing in so many places as the Belgians do. I have often done it with my Belgian son-in-law, who was born and bred in the area, it's crazy mans work! He, and others, even drive backwards up motorway exits just to get an extra sighting of the race. I would say watch the start then try and see at least two climbs then get away early for the finish as you will have to park miles away and walk. There is also a giant screen at the finish.

If you have time don't forget to visit the 'Tour of Flanders' museum at Oudenaarde. A few years ago I had Tom Simpson's bronze bust moved there from the Ghent track. Dave Marsh restored and donated Tom's Tour of Flanders bike to the museum. Tom won the Tour of Flanders at a very young age, his bust and bike are just about the most important exhibits on display.

http://www.crvv.org/EN/index.php?master ... bmenu_id=0

Don't forget to lubricate your limbs with plenty of 'Trapist' beer!

The Graham Webb ???? As profiled in Procycling last year ??? If it is,,, respect, some legs man.

Poof's climbs anyway, don't hurt at all with 150 miles in the legs :roll: :roll: :roll:

I must stop drinking Belgium beer and listining to BJ on Friday nights. :P :P
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    PS....

Iainf72 knows all dates.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,111
    pat1cp wrote:
    PS....

Iainf72 knows all dates.
    Maybe, but he hasn't been on here yet saying that traditionally the Tour of Flanders is always held on the first Sunday in April has he? :wink:
  • pat1cp wrote:
    The Graham Webb ???? As profiled in Procycling last year ??? If it is,,, respect, some legs man.

Hi, the one and only :lol: Thanks for the respect bit.
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    pat1cp wrote:

+1 and then some! A national treasure!
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers