Spelling/ Grammar

spen666
spen666 Posts: 17,709
edited January 2008 in Campaign
Let me start by admitting my spelling or use of grammar isn't good and I regularly make howlers.

I observe by reading on here and other forums/ message boards that it seems that the standard of written English is very poor.

Is this because people are less conscientious about checking their work before posting it? (How many people bother to read over what they have typed before hitting the post button?)

Is this because people do not know how to spell or use grammar correctly? (The average age of the people posting on here is over the school leaving age- so if it is a lack of knowledge; it is due to past education failures not current ones)

Any other reasons?
Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666

Comments

• Sometimes life's just too short to bother, probably?
    being a reformed stuntdrinker allows pontification
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I don't think that it's massively important to spell and grammar check before posting unless you know you are going to make some pretty big errors.

In the end it's only a forum, and as long as txt spk isn't used it's not a big deal.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • My spelling and grammar is exemplary! :lol:

I have the help of Mozilla in line spell checker, which generally eliminates typos.

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • wot y arxing me bruv? umlike tortly scriblin da max, innit
    "There are holes in the sky,
    Where the rain gets in.
    But they're ever so small
    That's why rain is thin. " Spike Milligan
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    Special K wrote:
    wot y arxing me bruv? umlike tortly scriblin da max, innit

:D:D:D:D:D
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    I don't think that it's massively important to spell and grammar check before posting unless you know you are going to make some pretty big errors.

In the end it's only a forum, and as long as txt spk isn't used it's not a big deal.
    It's not the end of the world to have the odd mistake, but the whole point of posting is to communicate, so it is important, IMO. Poor or non-existant grammar can make it a chore, at best, to decypher what a poster is trying to say. At times it's so difficult or impossible to interpret a post that I end out ignoring it, and sometimes the thread. It may just be my perception, but there have been more than a few 'flame wars' (is that the right term?) because of poor sentence structure, grammar and / or choice of vocabulary.

For myself, I believe that if it's worth taking the time to post, it's worth making the effort to try to make sure that it's readable, clear and relevant, and take the time to read my posts - and make corrections - before submitting them.
    spen666 wrote:
    Any other reasons?
    Possibly:
    Some people don't have any reason to use the written word after leaving education and any skills they had atrophy.

A majority of people read tabloids, and tabloid style magazines, that are undemanding of the reader. I was told, many years ago, by an english teacher that they have a reading age of 9.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • NFMC
    NFMC Posts: 232
    I agree. If nothing else it's good manners to the other people - with whom you may disagree - to take a bit of time to try and communicate properly.

One of my responsibilities is to manage internal communications for quite a big business and I have to edit the writing of some very senior people (usually earning well into six figures). It's not just a case of the 'younger generation' or a 'recent decline in school standards'!

***re-reads message three times before posting***
  • on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    It's only a forum, it's not as if we're applying for a high profile job or something.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    spen666 wrote:
    Let me start by admitting my spelling or use of grammar isn't good and I regularly make howlers.

I observe by reading on here and other forums/ message boards that it seems that the standard of written English is very poor.

Is this because people are less conscientious about checking their work before posting it? (How many people bother to read over what they have typed before hitting the post button?)

Is this because people do not know how to spell or use grammar correctly? (The average age of the people posting on here is over the school leaving age- so if it is a lack of knowledge; it is due to past education failures not current ones)

Any other reasons?

Don't you know how to spell atrocious?
  • spen666
    Crapaud wrote:
    ...It's not the end of the world to have the odd mistake, but the whole point of posting is to communicate, so it is important, IMO. Poor or non-existant grammar can make it a chore, at best, to decypher what a poster is trying to say. At times it's so difficult or impossible to interpret a post that I end out ignoring it, and sometimes the thread. It may just be my perception, but there have been more than a few 'flame wars' (is that the right term?) because of poor sentence structure, grammar and / or choice of vocabulary.

I am inclined to agree with this view.

Both on here and on other forums/ message boards, some posts are so difficult to understand.

Is the lack of care/ effort people make just another example of the lack of consideration people give to others these days in all walks of life?

Twittering @spen_666
  • Crapaud wrote:
    At times it's so difficult or impossible to interpret a post that I end out ignoring it,

shouldn't that be 'end up ignoring it'? :roll:
    If only the legs were as good as the bike....
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    As I understand it this forum has a spell check. If this is true could someone tell my
    computer dead mind how to use It.

Thanx,

Dennis Noward
  • my mate has spellchecker on his computer, but he's dyslexic so can't decide which option to choose! :lol:
    If only the legs were as good as the bike....
  • mr_hippo
    mr_hippo Posts: 1,051
    "It's only a forum so it does not matter!" What a weak, pathetic excuse.
    "I was in a rush!" Well you took your time to write your drivel, how much longer would it have taken you to spell-check? We maybe in a rush as well and do not have the time to interpret your post.
    "But you know what I mean!" Maybe but if it is in mangled English, it may have many meanings.
    Be careful with homonyms - words that sound the same but have different spellings and meanings. For example 'break levers', do you mean brake levers that help us to stop or are you giving us instructions to break levers? What should we break them with and why?
    You may be intelligent but if your posting is mangled, you may come across as low class and uneducated and therefore your opinion is worthless.
  • Crapaud
    windyphil wrote:
    Crapaud wrote:
    At times it's so difficult or impossible to interpret a post that I end out ignoring it,

Shouldn't that be 'end up ignoring it'? :roll:
    There, that's much better! (I'm fairly sure that that quote's one of mine.) :roll: :roll:

Now, what were you saying? Ah, yes. 'End up' or 'end out'? 'End up' is probably correct, 'though I've heard 'end up' used in the same manner. I'm not sure whether there's a right or wrong on this one, but it doesn't make the post, or the sentence, obscure, so I decided to leave it.

It's common on these type of threads for the 'spelling / grammar isn't important' advocates to pick apart the posts of the pro lobby. I didn't expect that to be picked up though; I thought there were better candidates.
    dennisn wrote:
    As I understand it this forum has a spell check. If this is true could someone tell my
    computer dead mind how to use It.
    No, not that I can see anyway. I'm sure I read that there's one in the pipeline.
    It's only a forum, it's not as if we're applying for a high profile job or something.
    On all the treads that I've read on this topic I've not seen one that attempts to explain or justify this attitude!
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • spen666
    Crapaud wrote:
    ....On all the treads that I've read on this topic I've not seen one that attempts to explain or justify this attitude!

Who contributors have treads on their posts? do the majority use slicks?

Twittering @spen_666
  • on the road
    Crapaud wrote:
    On all the treads that I've read on this topic I've not seen one that attempts to explain or justify this attitude!
    What attitude is that?
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud wrote:
    What attitude is that?
    That spelling and grammar aren't important because "it's only a forum". Replace it with 'opinion' or 'belief' if you like. If it's not important - why?
    spen666 wrote:
    Crapaud wrote:
    ....On all the treads that I've read on this topic I've not seen one that attempts to explain or justify this attitude!
    Oops! :oops: and:
    spen666 wrote:
    Which contributors have treads on their posts? Do the majority use slicks?
    :?: :D
  • on the road
    Crapaud wrote:
    Crapaud wrote:
    What attitude is that?
    That spelling and grammar aren't important because "it's only a forum". Replace it with 'opinion' or 'belief' if you like. If it's not important - why?
    OK!

IN MY OPINION, it's only a forum, it's not as if we're applying for a high profile job or something.

Is that better :wink:

IN MY OPINION, what does it matter if there's the odd misspelling or the odd missed comma? Does it really matter?

You shouldn't really get your knickers in a twist, there's more importing things in life to worry about then the odd misspelling or whatever.
  • At least we don't seem to suffer from the "l33t" speakers and those who use text speak when writing anything!
    I inhabit a wargaming forum, it's quite amusing when the product of our fine UK education system is being taken to task about their poor spelling, grammar and punctuation by someone from Romania!
    We all miss the odd punctuation mark, I get "fat-finger" syndrome and hit two keys together at times, but I usually pick it up when I re-read my post before hitting the submit button.
    l8r m8s :wink:
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • mr_hippo
    Are Spen & I complaining about the odd typo? No, we are not! How important is it to write clear English? First of all if you cannot be bothered to write properly then we cannot be bothered to read it. You may have raised an important point or given us a valuable piece of advice but because we cannot read it, we just ignore it!
    There's a thing called 'pride in your work' - I always try to do my best, do you?
    It prevents misunderstanding - if you write 'break hydraulic line' are you describing a part or giving an instruction?
  • Anonymous
    You shouldn't really get your knickers in a twist,

Who's knickers are twisted? Check the closest mirror for the answer. :lol:

You guys are getting way too serious.
    I'm with the grammer, punctuation, spelling, indices, etc., but chill people.
    I usually skip the hard to read (because of the aforementioned inadequacies also) posts, but who cares. Just skip what is too hard to read. No one comes up short aside from the one who cannot get it right.
    Geez, now I'm doing it.
    'Nite all, I'm going to go snuggle my lovely wife.
    8) 8) 8)
  • Jon G
    Jon G Posts: 281
    spen666 wrote:

Any other reasons?

One possible reason is that, because forum posts tend to be short, they are often treated as being conversation rather than as writing. In English, spoken conversation is by convention much less formally structured than is written work. A person who structured their conversation according to the conventions normal in writing would seem odd, and may be described as "talking like a book". Forum posts are often structured according to the conventions used in informal spoken discourse, which may offend those who take the view that they should be structured according to the conventions usually applied to writing. As with every aspect of English usage, consensus is the nearest there is to definitive authority, and no consensus has yet developed concerning usage in fora.

It would be interesting to know what happens in fora using languages where the written and spoken forms are less different than they are in English.

Jon
  • Anonymous
    spen666 wrote:
    Crapaud wrote:

I take it this post is by way of a demonstration of that to which you allude to in the OP? :cry:
  • mr_hippo wrote:
    You may be intelligent but if your posting is mangled, you may come across as low class and uneducated and therefore your opinion is worthless.

Tally Ho!
  • It is one of my bugbares in life :twisted:
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • mr_hippo
    whitley wrote:
    I take it this post is by way of a demonstration of that to which you allude to in the OP? :cry:

There are also people who try to talk/write posh and fail miserably.
  • Anonymous
    mr_hippo wrote:
    whitley wrote:

Which words are you having difficulty with?
  • mr_hippo
    whitley wrote:
    mr_hippo wrote:
    whitley wrote:

Your sentence construction is convoluted and didn't anyone tell you that you should not end a sentence with a preposition?
  • Anonymous
    mr_hippo wrote:
    whitley wrote:
    mr_hippo wrote:
    whitley wrote:

Your sentence construction is convoluted and didn't anyone tell you that you should not end a sentence with a preposition?

Yes,my Latin teacher.
    It's old hat and nonsense to assume a language based on German should follow the grammatical rules of an ancient language.
    Incidentally the word 'with' in the context used is not a preposition.
    Furthermore 'Non Gradus Anus Rodentum'