Best value-for-money bikes?

Belv
Belv Posts: 866
edited November 2007 in Commuting chat
To help new commuters (and attract some enthusiastic debate!), what do you feel offers the best VFM as far as commuter bikes go?

I haven't used a bicycle chain before, but had one of each of the other options and found the non-bicycle chain option better than the LBS or 'other' (which was a second hand bike i bought for a fiver, but spent lots on).

Comments

• Sadly, I think the likes of Evans or the other Internet suppliers (CRC, Wiggle etc) offer the best value, I HATE Halfords and the like, I don't think they are very cheap & offer a poor quality service. (Previous personal experience)
    The only thing that local bike shops have going for them is their intimate knowledge and the convenience of being local!!! Due to their relative lack of buying power they seem unable to discount in the same way as the larger chains.

For me personally - I would prefer to buy local, I'm looking to buy a new hybrid/commuter bike to replace my aging hack, the local bike shops all have the models I'm interested in at full price, a quick look on the web will save me about £100. Do I support my local shop or do I save £100, It's a real dilemma for me as I feel quite strongly about supporting local business.
  • Belv
    Have you asked if they will match the price?
    If they won't, how about some extras for the same price - a free service in 6 months, some new accessories? £100-worth of accessories to you won't have cost him that much, so you both win.
  • I don't have the cash in my hand, when I do I will engage in the 'bartering process' with the LBS and see where I get, I bought my stumpy fsr and got £300 worth of free kit from a relatively local bike shop - an absolute bargain in my opinion.

To add to my original post - LBS are often owner run, hence they are able to make a decision there and then, providing you are reasonable they will engage in negotiation. (Still don't think they have the same buying poweras the big chains).
  • Mwnci
    Mwnci Posts: 18
    I am of much the same opinion as Mayhemwmb, I have been stung by poor quality and service in Halfords et al. In large non-cycling stores you often get percieved value, but prves not to be good value at all.

I always avoided buying bikes from online store, prefering local and also the ability to take it there if any problems. From experience taking it back to a store does not guarentee anything, let alone a fix.....and I can't afford to pay for my principles of buying locally so online Cycle store it is.
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...I bought my last bike from the local man. He discounted all the accessories and gave me two waterbottle holders free. I have found his prices for acceessories to be the same as, and some cases cheaper than buying on line. Also if I have trouble with the bike he is just down the road. I also have the benefit of his knowledge and experience, plus he is a jolly nice chap... :D
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • I would always say LBS, having had my fingers burnt in both the other options. Why? Three reasons.

1) Allows you to try before you buy - by some margin the most important factor in choosing a bike in my view. I would never buy out of a catalogue on the basis of paper spec (again).

2) I've been cycling ever since I was a nipper. But there is still no way I can set up a bike 'out of the box' as precisely as a qualified bike mechanic. Particularly if there is also a...

3) Service package thrown in: my new bike from the LBS came with a lifetime's free servicing, something that I see a lot of shops are offering now. In practice this is awesome - the slightest niggle and in it goes. It means you get things sorted out rather than (in my case) trying to bodge them, making things worse and living with it for months.
  • Belv
    ...came with a lifetime's free servicing...
    That would swing the VFM to the LBS for me definitely.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    all 3 of my bikes have been internet sales from propper bike shops.

theres not really any decent lbs in my town more aimed at average cheap bikes of course theres a hellfrauds but avoid it like a bancock hooker with clap.

there are some big chain shops with in 10 mile radius evans leisure lakes and edge cycles,. but still the net offered better deals.

my lbs didnt stock the manufacturer i wanted either pluss i am lazy and like things delivered to my door, :P
  • Gambatte
    Gambatte Posts: 1,453
    Can't really vote, my LBS is JEJames.

As to the 3rd choice. I'd like to vote for that 'cos it'd include Decathlon, but it also includes the big 'H'....

Saying that, although the mate had probs with his 'H' bike, he had nothing but good service on the warranty jobs. A few components upgraded for nowt.
  • My LBS is a very small outfit - they have a good range of accessories, but their range of bikes is limited to the huge range of sub-standard cheap "mountain" bikes. I'm going to ask if they would order in a road bike when I have the money to buy one - they seemed friendly enough :)
    mrBen

"Carpe Aptenodytes"
    JediMoose.org