wheels for a colnago ct1

fattyatkinson
fattyatkinson Posts: 40
edited November 2007 in Workshop
can anyone recommend a set of wheels for a colnago ct1 for about £150-200? The Xero Lite XR-1s seem to have a recent write up, but are they only good for the money, or just good and worth buying??? Can anyone recomment anything better??? thanks in advance!

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Fulcrum Racing 5s?

on the otherhand Handbuilts are always popular
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • System_1
    System_1 Posts: 513
    Lots of people have good things to say about Xero wheels. I have a pair of Xero Centauri XCR1's which seem to be the same as the Lite XR-1's in all but spoke pattern. They are really light, comfortable, fast, stay true and are good looking.

BUT, unless you are quite light then you might find them a bit, well, floppy. They are by far and away the least stiff wheels I've ever used by a big big margin. Riding over cobbles on them the first time and seeing the front wheel flap around like that was pretty scary.

Also, my rear wheel became cracked around most of the spokes after about a year (maybe 1500-2000 miles), most likely due to the the single eyelet rims and the really high tension needed to build a wheel with so few spokes.

I've since replaced the rim and currently have them on my pub bike, where, they'll live till they die.