Which compound high rollers should I get?!

tom preston
tom preston Posts: 179
edited November 2007 in MTB buying advice
I'm looking at getting some new tyres for my patriot. I've owned maxxis high rollers before, and loved them. I currently have maxxis swampthings on my bike, but want to get a new pair of high rollers for the winter.

The thing is, I haven't been keeping up with the mtb world much recently, and there now seems to be so many choices for tyre compounds that I am completely confused as to which ones to get!!!

Which compound would be best for me? I will be riding mainly shale singletrack/forestry.

Cheers, Tom

Comments

• Sir HC
    Sir HC Posts: 20,148
    Swampthings are better suited to mud than the highrollers.

As far as compund goes, depends how much you lock your wheels up and your budget.

I'd go for a Supertacky on the front and rear for max grip, if your after a longer lasting tyre, buy a 60a for the rear.
    Intense Socom
    Inbred
  • jbford
    jbford Posts: 101
    42a would suit well for great grip although it'll wear out quick. 60a will roll better and last longer. Depends on your wallet and how often you like to change your tyres.
  • Okay, and erm, whats the difference between SPC and DPC?!
    Also, where is the best place to buy tyres from in terms of price?

Cheers for all the help!
  • Sorry, one more question!
    Is it better to have a wider tyre on the rear, or wider front than rear, or is it best to just have the same width on both?

Cheers again
  • jbford
    jbford Posts: 101
    I run the same width on front and rear, have never tried mixing.

I've run semi slicks on the back and clipped the tread out of the centre on a DHF Miniion tyre for the front, great for hard/ fast riding on dry loose or hard pack sufaces. Not good for winter gloop though.

Don't be afraid to experiment with your tyres, that's what I'm trying to say!
  • Noclue
    Noclue Posts: 503
    SPC- single ply casing, lighter but less robust

DPC- double ply casing, heavier but more robust i.e for downhilling
  • 42a Front

60a Rear

Best of both world, grip where you need it most(front) and a longer lasting predictable rear for sliding around bends.

Perfect
    www.27gears.com

Sore ribs.................I must start walking the trail 1st before steep descents into the unknown!