Northern Rock Cyclone 2008 - Race entries

Peter Harrison
Peter Harrison Posts: 189
edited December 2007 in Pro race
You can now enter for the Beaumont Trophy Premier Calendar RR (If you are an elite, 1st or 2nd Cat. rider) and any of the Newcastle Leazes Criteriums if you visit the event website www.northernrockcyclone.co.uk. All events can be entered online including the Cyclone Challenge rides on the saturday. :D

Comments

• Northern Rock eh?

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Northern Rock eh?

Your point being?
  • It might run out of money before the event if they have borrowed money from America to get off the ground.
  • It might run out of money before the event if they have borrowed money from America to get off the ground.
    I have not borrowed money from anyone and just to clarify I do not work for Northern Rock. I am the Chairman of the Gosforth RC and an event organiser. If you look a the website you will see there are many secondary sponsors and I also have the full backing of the Regional Development Agency, One North East as well as Technical sponsorship from Shimano. The event was a huge success this year and was the most lucrative weekend of racing for the Elite riders in the UK this year. In total the prize fund was £17500 and I do not expect it to be less next year.
    Why not enter - you may just enjoy it :D
  • Okey dokey. I was joking though!
  • Okey dokey. I was joking though!
    I'm a sensitive little bunny at the moment - think you may understand why :? :wink:
  • Northern Rock eh?

Your point being?

I was joking too - just saying what everyone thinks at the moment, "Northern Rock going down the tubes how can they sponsor bike races*"

*the same has been said about their sponsorship of Newcastle Utd.

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • I was thinking of entering the go-race event as my first ever bike race. Any advice on what sort of numbers attend, and what sort of level I'll need to be at in order to not get dropped at the very start!?

I'd really like to start racing, but to be honest it's very daunting as my only experience of it has been watching the TdF and some local elite road races!

Thanks!
  • bjlyons wrote:
    I was thinking of entering the go-race event as my first ever bike race. Any advice on what sort of numbers attend, and what sort of level I'll need to be at in order to not get dropped at the very start!?

I'd really like to start racing, but to be honest it's very daunting as my only experience of it has been watching the TdF and some local elite road races!

Thanks!
    if you have ever entered a BC (or TLI) Road race in the past you will not be allowed to start and could be placed in the Senior event. This race is one for complete novices and I have the last word as organiser if any "ringers" enter. Believe me I can spot one a mile off and have ways of finding out past performances for these individuals! This race is all about fun! and encouraging newcomers to take up the sport. As an aside it has very good prizes - in fact better than a lot of 2/3/4 events
  • Nope never entered before. I've only had a bike for 4 months! But I would like to start and thought it may be a good introduction. What's a "ringer"?
  • bjlyons wrote:
    Nope never entered before. I've only had a bike for 4 months! But I would like to start and thought it may be a good introduction. What's a "ringer"?
    a ringer is a term used in many sporting events. Basically it means someone who pretends he is a novice but may have been at some time a World Chapmpion! :evil:
  • Ah OK. Wish I was! :) Thanks for the information.
  • J-89
    J-89 Posts: 61
    2 questions on the leazes park crit. I dont hav a racing license att the moment but i am about to get one, when i apply do i have to name a club? becasue i dont ride with a club i train on my own (full-time student so i work part-tine at weekends dont have time unfortunately, although peter, would love to join gosforth cos i live in south shields but never mind :( ) and i am planning on entering the 2/3/4 race? just how good are these guys? i hoping to ride some time trials this year and targeting a 10 in 25 (or under) and i can hold a good pace for around 50 minutes, will i be totally dropped? i would like to do well with being a local lad! :lol: cheers
    J-89
  • J-89 wrote:
    2 questions on the leazes park crit. I dont hav a racing license att the moment but i am about to get one, when i apply do i have to name a club? becasue i dont ride with a club i train on my own (full-time student so i work part-tine at weekends dont have time unfortunately, although peter, would love to join gosforth cos i live in south shields but never mind :( ) and i am planning on entering the 2/3/4 race? just how good are these guys? i hoping to ride some time trials this year and targeting a 10 in 25 (or under) and i can hold a good pace for around 50 minutes, will i be totally dropped? i would like to do well with being a local lad! :lol: cheers
    J-89 in answer to your questions
    i) no you don't have to be in a club - you can ride as a private member. However there is no reason why you should not join the Gosforth. We are the largest club in the area with over 160 members and although you can't get out at weekends you can always train with the club midweek. Also students get FREE membership!
    ii) if you ride any races before the Crits you will have to ride the 2/3/4 event. As it is a Criterium on a tight demanding circuit of 1km you would be best prepared by riding as many races before as possible. There will be a series of criteriums at Newburn in the spring - suggest you ride these. All the details are on the Gosforth RC website www.gosforthroadclub.com
  • J-89
    J-89 Posts: 61
    Peter, what rides do the club do throughout the week? what days and times? i understand these may be some what limited over the winter but any info for the spring midweek rides/ training would be great!
    J-89
  • J-89 wrote:
    Peter, what rides do the club do throughout the week? what days and times? i understand these may be some what limited over the winter but any info for the spring midweek rides/ training would be great!
    at the moment the club trains every wednesday night at Newburn Business Park. The session is run by Chris Bush and is fully structured to get everyone used to riding in a group at speed etc. Session lasts about 90mins and will be on until march. The circuit is quiet and safe with good roads and is about 1.1mls with no sharp bends. It is a good introduction to criterium racing.
    There are also rides every saturday ans sunday. On sunday Chris takes the faster group out and they do about 70mls at about 19mph which is reasonably fast given the climbs they go over.