Safety & Risk Assessment

spen666
spen666 Posts: 17,709
edited November 2007 in Commuting chat
Cycling into work this morning, in the dark, with lights on, reflective clothing etc.

I passed a cyclist on the A11 riding on the road, wearing a helemt and face mask to protect themselves against perceived dangers offumers & head injuries. Very sensible you may say, BUT they had no lights or reflectors on their bikes

Interesting at the perception of risk. I presume this person feared harm from fumes/ head injury, but thinks the fact he can't be seen is not a risk
Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666

Comments

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    cold face?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • spen666
    Clever Pun wrote:
    cold face?

It wasn't cold this morning and it was one of the "fume" type masks, but you could be right. It would make more sense than a risk assessed decision

Twittering @spen_666
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Stealth rider
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...idiot...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • hamboman
    hamboman Posts: 512
    breathing related illnesses kill more people in this country than RTAs
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Don't they call those guys 'organ donors?' :lol:
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    hamboman wrote:

Which may be smoking related, asthma, general COPD, etc.

Quality of air in the UK is, believe it or not, at an all time high for the last 100 years. More traffic but less fumes.

The masked mor0n clearly wants to see how much quicker he can travel in the back of a big white van with blue lights on top

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • spen666
    hamboman wrote:

A classic abuse of figures to produce something to support your argument

You're an accountant- do I win £5

Twittering @spen_666
  • hamboman
    hamboman Posts: 512
    Ha ha, knew that comment would drive people crazy!
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Yes, but we want to know!!! Are you an accountant, and do you use your personality as a contraceptive?

:twisted: :twisted: :wink::D
  • neslon
    neslon Posts: 54
    Amazing event yesterday. I was cycling up the cycle path on the Great North Road (about 0630) when a Ninja cyclist, completely in black, no lights or reflectives, appeared out of the dark & swore because my front light was too bright as we whizzed past each other.

Organ donor? Good job they can't do brain transplants, since only a Scots Pine would benefit from his.
  • tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    I saw someone with their front light completely obscured by a huge bar bag. It was only from behind you could see it reflecting out of a tangle of straps. :?
  • Belv
    Belv Posts: 866
    Last week I was about 100yards behind a guy who appeared to have no rear light, but as i got closer i saw he had mounted it below the line of the top of the wheel! I wonder whether to say anything in circumstances like that - just a friendly 'heads up' to a problem they may not be aware of. Same when someones batteries are nearly flat.

BentMikey wrote:
    Yes, but we want to know!!! Are you an accountant, and do you use your personality as a contraceptive?

:lol:
    Priceless. Can i have permission to use that as my preferred insult for the festive period?
  • tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    I'm sure he won't mind - that line is probably older than I am :D