Cheaper XC wheelset

OllyUK
OllyUK Posts: 230
edited November 2007 in MTB buying advice
Ok...First post :D

Im looking to upgrade the wheelset on my carrera fury, I have a budget of around £130 (no higher). I've been looking into wheelsets oniine at Merlin Cycles and can't decide between the factory made Mavic Crossride Discs or getting a custom build wheelset from Merlin. IN regards to the custom one Ive been thinking XC717 disc rims with XT 6 bolt hub..and I dont know much about spokes so atm just looking at the cheapest one.
Any advice on whats the best value for performance/wieght would be really helpful and I need a little explanation into the different types of rims/spokes/hubs.

Thanks

Ollie

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd go for the XT on 717. The Crossrides are light, but with just 24 spokes and factory built they are not as durable as the other combo, and harder to get parts for. XT on 717 is a great combo: just as light, bombproofhubs which are smooth and easy to service and adjust, while the rim is legendary for its performance. Add to that Merlins build quality and you have a great set of hoops. ACI double butted spokes are just fine.
  • OllyUK
    OllyUK Posts: 230
    Thanks for the speedy reply :lol: ...another question

Whats the difference between the XT 6 bolt and XT splined hub? And how much approx would the xt hubs with 717s weigh in comparison the the crossrides?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    XT 6 bolt is the standard rotor fittng for a hub - uses 6 small allen or torx bolts. Centre lock uses a splined threaded collar to attatch it. The brakes on the Fury are 6 bolt.

You dont see the Crossride hubs seperately, but I am willing to bet they are a touch lighter than the XT. But I prefer the XT hubs over them as they are very reliable, and as a package with the rims, there is little in total weight.
  • If you are looking for a great set of wheels try the Magura Comp wheelset from Merlin, they are factory built by DT Swiss (very good) and feature DT Onyx hubs, Dt Swiss spokes and DT 455 rims, they are 32 hole, so strong yet very light, 6 bolt fitting for discs and are £149.00 complete (less with their discount thingy) I have a set and they are fantastic, the hubs and rims have Magura Stickers on them but they are all DT components, and if you check the price on the individual bits on CRC or the like they cost Mega Bucks. well worth considering.
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    First post and riding a Carrera Fury, sorry if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing you're failrly young or failrly new to MTBing. If you are, I'd recommend an XM719 disc rim over a 717. It adds 60g but is 2mm wider and stronger. This will give you a degree of versatility in the future whilst allowing a bit more "bad landing" headroom in the meantime.

If I'm wrong and you're an XC whippet looking to shed every gramme, ignore the above :wink:
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."