Would You Help?!

boingboing12345
boingboing12345 Posts: 58
edited November 2007 in MTB general
Last night whilst on a night ride on my P7 Pro I heard the dreaded hisss of a puncture.

I started to repair it and had my wheel off and bike upset down repairing the puncture, a bloke on a Specialized rode by looked and carried on!

Whilst I did not need help, I would always offer, would you!?

Comments

• Don't see why not. What if you didn't have a repair kit or spare tube that's how i'd look at it if i was passing. It's nice to be nice imo.
    "If i was a slug i don't think i could handle it, i'd just throw myself in the salt pot" -Karl pilkington

Whyte 46, i fall off it alot!!
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    There's a fine line because most bloke's pride themselves on being self sufficient. As a result I tend to just ask whether they have everything they need as I ride past.
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • If you had your wheel off and where looking like you had it sorted when he looked on then maybe he thought he would have just disturbed you.

To be honest though I would have said hello inviting you to ask if you needed help.

Now if you where in the middle of a freezing cold Moor then I would have asked.

It's probably all about the situation, however everyone is different.
    Want a club that knows the trails around Newcastle during the week and goes further every weekend of the month, rain hail sleet or shine?

www.newcastlemtb.org
    www.midaircrisis.co.uk
  • Whilst I did not need help, I would always offer, would you!?

Hell yeah.

A couple of years back I was out in the middle of nowhere in the Brecon Beacons.
    Did a smallish drop and my tube exploded,and of course I (accidentally) had no spare tube :oops:
    Tried all the tricks like cutting the tube and tying a knot in each end,stuffing the tyre with grass and rags etc but nothing worked.

I had a 4 mile hike to the nearest phone,and bear in mind it was in the middle of winter with chill factor below zero,rain going sideways in a 20mph wind and me rapidly cooling down in my thin shell and shorts.
    After trudging about a mile pushing the mud covered bike with an obvious flat I saw 2 bikers approaching and I thought "great,maybe I can try to buy a tube off them".

As it turned out,I didn't get a chance to ask them because when they drew level with me they both put their heads down and put the power on!
    I eventually made it to a phone wet through and discovered I couldn't dial because my fingers were so cold they simply wouldn't work :lol::lol:

My own fault for not carrying a tube that day perhaps,but it wouldn't have killed them to ask if I was ok.
    I'll always ask anyone I see who looks like they're having difficulty.
    I'd donate a tube happily rather than have anyone go through what I did,and wouldn't hesitate to help with a mechanical.
    But,I haven't seen a single biker since I got my new one! :D 8)
    =========================================

Dot 4 in the eye hurts. Trust me
  • I always stop n ask.
    a friend and I were at afan this weekend and he got a puncture and i had 2 innertubes but i'd left my pump in my other bag. i rode on down (i wanted to finish the wall descent!!) anyway he said a load of guys flew past him and didn't even acknowledge him.
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    I agree with Splasher - I usually ask if people need any bits, I don't like to question somebody's manhood by implying they need help fixing a puncture.

My strangest trailside assistance though was helping a dog walker look for his missing false teeth a couple of months ago. Didn't find them sadly.
  • lm_trek
    lm_trek Posts: 1,470
    It depends, if someone has a puncture and they are in a group i dont stop, just assume between them they can sort it!!

If its a lone biker i stop and ask if everythings ok?? ive helped a few puncture repairs and given a few innertubes out, but thats because you never know when you need a stranger to help you out! karma and all that!!

I did help some walkers out once, lost there dog up at witches trail, only to find out an hour later the damn dog was scared of bikes, explained why he ran off from me!!
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Last night whilst on a night ride on my P7 Pro I heard the dreaded hisss of a puncture.

I started to repair it and had my wheel off and bike upset down repairing the puncture, a bloke on a Specialized rode by looked and carried on!

Whilst I did not need help, I would always offer, would you!?

Absolutely. I think it's just plain good manners. I had the self same thing happen to me last year but I had to walk three miles with a ripped tyre. I saw four other MTBers and not one of them even slowed down to see if I needed any help.

Having spent a long time as a motorcyclist too, it's something that comes naturally. I've even stopped for walkers - I once came across a family out in Grizedale Forest, whose small daughter was being dragged along screaming blue murder. Turned out she'd fallen in a patch of rather virulent nettles and the parents had no idea what to do. I showed the mother how to use dock leaves to soothe the stings. OK, so I don't want a medal or anything (oh, go on then...!) but I just think that it creates a good impression on other people and if anything it makes you feel pretty smug too!
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • bryanm
    bryanm Posts: 218
    I had a 4 mile hike to the nearest phone,and bear in mind it was in the middle of winter with chill factor below zero,rain going sideways in a 20mph wind and me rapidly cooling down in my thin shell and shorts.
    My own fault for not carrying a tube that day perhaps,

Or carrying appropriate clothing for the time of year and potential conditions....
  • steelo
    steelo Posts: 542
    I would stop and make sure you had everything you needed to continue your ride, or get back to your car/house at least.

It would be the least I would expect from any other self-respecting MTB'er.
    Specialized Rockhopper '07
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09
  • This is something me and my mate were quite surprised at. We've been to Dalby a few times now and inevitably stopped to adjust seatposts, check QR skewers etc, Whenever we have stopped and someone has ridden past they have always asked if we needed any help.

In turn we to say an inviting "hello", just to give someone the opportunity to ask us for help if they need it.
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    There are plenty of folk up glentress that don't have a clue, I usually help. But then it'll no doubt involve having to sort a chain or something, in the pissing rain. That has happened too many times! Everyone should carry the essentials.
  • jbford
    jbford Posts: 101
    If somebody looks like they're in trouble or need of help I always ask. I consider it a civic duty. What goes around comes around!
  • xcracer
    xcracer Posts: 298
    I always say "hello" to fellow MTBers (or a friendly nod if I've just come up a big climb!). Don't always get an answer though which is a bit rude.
  • pittpony
    pittpony Posts: 1,057
    I've always apprecated it when people have asked if i have everything i need. I'd always return the favour by asking the same
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    xcracer wrote:
    I always say "hello" to fellow MTBers (or a friendly nod if I've just come up a big climb!). Don't always get an answer though which is a bit rude.

I do exactly the same, as well as letting anyone approaching know how many there may be in my party behind me that they don't immediately see.

"Hey, two more behind me."
  • bryanm wrote:
    My own fault for not carrying a tube that day perhaps,

Or carrying appropriate clothing for the time of year and potential conditions....

Yep,I suppose I deserve that.
    The clothing was adequate for riding and enough for puncture stops,and like I said - I accidentally forgot a spare tube.
    I've spent years walking and riding those hills,so please don't try to label me as someone who goes unprepared for the conditions or doesn't respect the environment,which is how your post comes across :D
    =========================================

Dot 4 in the eye hurts. Trust me
  • buzz1
    buzz1 Posts: 374
    Recently I helped a woman with two kids, one of which had slip a chain and it had got doubled up (as they do), she had been walking about for half an hour without any offers of help until I appeared on my horse with my armour shinning brightly!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/72834654@N00/