Cycle Tracker

donnie murdo
donnie murdo Posts: 986
edited December 2007 in Commuting chat
Is there any type of tracker system that you can attach a tag to your bike and then locate it if it gets stolen?

Comments

• tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    If you mean like a gps thing, then no, I don't think so. I know you can get various security things - my bro's bike has got an electronic tag stuck down the seat tube that the police can find.

And there's some business where the police put your post code onto the bottom of the bike?
  • Yes there is a tracker type device that can be fitted to bikes, not sure if it's available to buy, we use one at work as a honey trap, park it up on a cycle rack that has been targetted by theives and wait!!!!
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    you can get the data tag.

its a chip that has your details on it placed inside the frame usually down the seat tube police have a scanner that detects the chip and reads it giving them your details in theory getting you your bike back,....

its not expensive either around £20-£30

also gives you a discount on cycle insureacne if you have on fitted around 10% discount.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Mayhemwmb wrote:
    Yes there is a tracker type device that can be fitted to bikes, not sure if it's available to buy, we use one at work as a honey trap, park it up on a cycle rack that has been targetted by theives and wait!!!!

What line of work are you in, vigilante or state-sponsored law enforcer?
  • A true "tracker" style device is not available on the open market. They're also heavy and need batteries which have a short life span. The value of bikes is generally les than the cost of this kit too!

Datatags are the closest we've got. I would say if the cost of the tag is offset by the reduction in your insurance premium then they're worthwhile, but unfortunately they're not checked anywhere near enough in recovered bikes (IME).

Best insurance: A strong D-Lock and keep a note of your frame number.

Have a look at My Bike
  • Gussio wrote:
    Mayhemwmb wrote:
    Yes there is a tracker type device that can be fitted to bikes, not sure if it's available to buy, we use one at work as a honey trap, park it up on a cycle rack that has been targetted by theives and wait!!!!

What line of work are you in, vigilante or state-sponsored law enforcer?

Civil Servant :(
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Hi i live in the Netherlands and scaffolding companys use a tag system over here as scaffolding poles e.t.c. are quite expensive and are regularly stolen. i have no idea what it cost but will try to find out for you.Maybe you can call a scaffolding company in your area and find out if they also use such a system. The tag fits inside the poles which can be steel or aluminium and are said to work perfectly.
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura