Tacx jockey wheels on XTR mech?

clanton
clanton Posts: 1,289
edited November 2007 in MTB workshop & tech
Will these fit a Shimano XTR mech?
http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=10431
I don't fancy spending £29 on the genuine jockey wheels as the mech is fairly well used already!

Comments

• tmg
    tmg Posts: 651
    They should be OK, I think the XTR jockey wheels are made from a tougher lighter plastic hence price diff
  • http://stores.ebay.co.uk/TRI-Smart

he has some really hard wearing anodised ones that look great if you like that sort of thing.
  • terra
    terra Posts: 32
    Both the above use bearings not bushing in their jockey wheels, they seize up a lot more readily than bushings, I've used both in my XT mechs and both have seized to some extent, a TACX jockey wheel once cost me a mech hanger, rear mech and chain when it seized completly during a ride.

TACX and KCNC use standard RS (rubber seal) bearings which are inadequate to prevent water ingress under total immersion conditions, there needs to be some other type of close tolerance external sealing of the type found in Hope hubs for instance. The push-in plugs on TACX and KCNC, plastic and aluminium respectively, do not appear to be up to the task considering the abuse jockey wheels are put through, riding through puddles etc.

Unfortunately because of the seemingly infinite variations of Shimano jockey wheels, some shops will only stock the "universal" TACX and will attempt to pass them off as a superior alternative to Shimano jockey wheels.

Personally I've gone back to bushing based jockey wheels courtesy of the new Shadow XT rear mech, owing to my experience with the above jockey wheels.
  • seriously, why would you want to 'bling' your jockey wheels?

I doubt even Andrew156 would - unless they were carbon :lol:

No offence Andrew - just a joke - I did think about getting anodized red ones :lol:

EDIT: note you didnt want to bling your J'wheel - sorry.

But I thought I would leave this post for Andrew's benefit :lol:
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    Thanks for all the info - have ordered the TAcx ones already and will try these for now. Just felt it was OTT spending £30 on jockey wheels but then I guess you gets what you pays for!