Disc brakes on a racer

simbil1
simbil1 Posts: 620
edited November 2007 in Workshop
Following on from the recent thread, it looks like they are starting to arrive:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... c-08-28049

I still reckon they will be common place in a few years.

Comments

• mea00csf
    mea00csf Posts: 558
    I'm not convinced on this particular bike. Your paying nearly £1500 and only get mechanical disc brakes. having had mech disc brakes i found that they were fiddley and required CONSTANT accurate fiddly adjustment to keep them braking without rubbing. Which considering they're advocating the bike for use as a commuter, would not be what i would want.

I personally wouldn't have mechanical discs again, and would definetly feel ripped off to pay £1500 and get mechanical disc brakes
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    From the MTB perspective, mechanical discs appear on bikes at the £300 and under mark... Certainly if you're paying over £500 you'd be looking for hydraulics.

£1500 for a fairly heavy frame, 105 and mechanical disks doesn't sound like particularly good value to me, although I do think there's a place for disks on the road.

Edit - Actually, thinking about, I doubt anyone does an Ergolever or indeed a brake lever that fits on drop bars, that copes with hydraulics yet, so mechanicals are the only option.
  • FOGcp
    FOGcp Posts: 145
    To get round meesterbonds point about brake levers for drops not being compatible with hydraulics, a few years ago in the motorcycle world manufacturers experimented with remote master cylinders operated by short cables, not as good as pure hydraulic but better than pure mechanical.
  • £1500 does sound like a lot to me given the spec.

Having said that, it might be nice to have the modulation discs offer on my commute. I currently have Ultegra brakes on my roadie and those things are either on or off. Fine in the dry, but in the wet you just skid... as happened this morning when I came within a whisker of smacking into the back of a hard breaking Vectra...
  • POB_London
    POB_London Posts: 1,016
    I've had a hydraulic Hope disk on my fixie commuter for about 2-3 years. It works great. I don't want a regular road level, so I just use a modified Hope lever up near the stem and track-shape bars. I've even done 200km Audaxes on this bike and it's great. One or two-finger stoppies are no problem, modulation is fantastic, works just as well wet or dry and it costs nothing (pads last forever!)

naked_overview.jpg
    blimey - bit windy / cold / wet innit? My blog is at http://www.lewismiller.info
  • for road use, mechanical discs are more than adequate. Good quality ones such as the Avid BB7 don't need fiddling with all the time. I can't remember the last time I adjusted them.
    Recipe: shave legs sparingly, rub in embrocation and drizzle with freshly squeezed baby oil.