Winter riding = cold feet

steelo
steelo Posts: 542
edited November 2007 in MTB general
Does anyone have any proven ways of keeping your feet toasty, or at least warmer than freezing, on night rides this time of year.

I don't have SPD's or specific cycling shoes for my XC rides. I currently use a pair of running trainers which are very lightweight and actually highly ventilated. I've tried 3 pairs of socks (2 trainer-style socks and 1 cycling socks) and although the trainers feel nice and snu as soon as you start getting any speed up my feet freeze.

Is it stating the obvious to try a pair of leather trainers, or skate trainers?

Would a plastic bag wrapped around each foot between two layers of socks work?

I have no budget for buying windproof socks or shoes so its got to be a 'what-you-can-find-at-home' fix!
Specialized Rockhopper '07
Trek Fuel EX8 '09

Comments

• dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    If you can't shell out on some SealSkinz mid lights (about £20 and my best purchase of 2007), then try the following -

First you need a very thin pair of cotton or poly-cotton socks next to the skin. Then over the top you'll need a decent pair of loop-pile polyester-wool mix walking socks (the longer the better, try your local branch of Millets or Yeomans).

As for shoes, you'll be far better off with a pair of skate-style trainers (try TK Maxx for Osiris and AirWalk) which are about a half to full size too big for you.

Athletic shoes simply are not stiff enough to allow you pedal efficiently or comfortably. Skate shoes vary in stiffness - the best seem to be Etnies, Duffs, Osiris and Vans - but are infinitely better than running shoes.

Don't be tempted to go down the plastic bag route. They will make your feet sweat like Gary Glitter in a Saigon police station and may make the problem worse. In addition if you try it regularly you may end up with nasty complaints like athlete's foot or even trench foot.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    You could try those foot warmers that skiers use. Not sure what they are called but
    do know that they work.

Dennis noward
  • Also your feet swell when you exercise, they'll probably be way to tight for riding and cutting off your circulation. Have you tried just wearing a thin pair of socks or re-tying your shoes after 15mins or so. Most of the time I never unlace my riding trainers, they are loose enough when i'm getting dressed to just about slip on and then after riding they stay put!
  • Gwaredd
    Gwaredd Posts: 251
    I had the exact same problem as you & tried everything. In the end, I thought sod it & bought some Dee Feet woolie boolie socks & they're fecking great! I can walk out on the patio at night when it's frosty in just them & the cold doesn't even come through! I understand biking on a budget very well, but forego your Chinese this weekend & buy these socks.

I now wear them along with my running shoes (that are also very airy!) & it seems to have done the trick. Also, I have no problem with pedal control & have never slipped once since using them (the shoes that is, not the socks!)

Forgot to say, I found them for £11.99 at evans.