Carbon Rizer bars

dan1983
dan1983 Posts: 314
edited November 2007 in MTB buying advice
I've decided the next upgrade on my bike, (once my bleeding car insurance is paid, oh and the small matter of christmas), is going to be a set of rizer bars, as the flat ones that are on are too short/thin and I WANT some rizers.

I don't race etc, just do it for 'fun', and the rest of my bike is standard non-carbon.

So...my questions is this:

Is it worth paying an extra £70+ for some carbon bars or not? The only reason I'm wanting some is because I'm a materialistic ponce, but is it really worth it??[/i]

Comments

• jbford
    jbford Posts: 101
    I think you can't really beat Easton's EA 70 Monkeylite.

Carbon doesn't really seem value for money to me unless your gram counting.

Plus, and I know that with the advances in technology this is a little aged, I can't get over the fact that if you do crash, it can break and leave lurvely :cry: sharp fibres stickingout everywhere. At least with aluminium, it bends and gives you some warning.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Alu can snap pretty quick too. Carbon bars from 40 quid on CRC, and they can offer some vibration damping.
  • Have a look at the FSA K force or Truvativ carbin risers on www.merlincycles.co.uk
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    why carbon risers? wjay not flat? lighter and stronger.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I had Ritchey carbon risers on my GT and loved them. The Ritchey stem and bar combo on Merlin at the moment is very good value.
  • I can vouch for the FSA K Force bars - I have been running them for nearly a year and they are superb. £44.00 on merlin I believe rrp £100 - you could do a lot worse...

Also check out Ritchie, Easton - all the top companies have a version (give or take) - it's just finding what you like v price.
  • i can vouch for the Fsa K-force aswell. brilliant bars! very light! look the dogs dangleys aswell :D
    Enjoy the simple things in life