Trek Madone Triple to Compact?

taffyscouser
taffyscouser Posts: 190
edited December 2007 in Workshop
Have a Madonne 5.2 that I have owned and been happy with for two years and its a triple with ultegra 9 speed groupset. Is there an issue with upgrading the bike to Ultegra 10 full groupset with a compact chainset. Chainline etc ok???

Taff

Comments

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    No issues at all. Chainline is taken care of by using the correct bottom bracket for the chainset. The only alteration you might need to make is to shorten your chain.
  • Thats good news as this is much cheaper than going to a new bike. Just got to find a groupset at the right price now.
  • I"ve got a trek 5.2 and have put a campy centaur groupset on it and pesonally prefer it over the ultegra, maybe you could get a good deal on the campy gear? just an option.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Maybe he likes Ultegra. Maybe he does not want to by new wheels. You can not keep the Campag missionaries out can you.

Ducks and exits stage left.
  • I did put it was just an option.
  • Ok folks thats decided then. Trying to ring around to find a good price on a groupo but with a compact in place of standard. Anyone dealt with Parkers International recently?
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    Can you not go for Ultegra 9 spd?? Wouldn't this mean just changing the chainring?
    Rich
  • Its got a triple on it. PCD would have to different than on the Compact ( I think) Any one used a 10 speed compact on a 9 speed set up. This will get complicated soon. Just wanted to upgrade to 10 speed with a compact to avoid any conflict issues with triple STi's, triple chainset, front changer(triple), rear long cage mech etc.
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    Do Shimano do an Ultegra compact chainset for 9-spd then?
    I am on the lookout for a Shimano Dura-Ace 10-spd compact chainset but there doesn't seem to be such a beast - if anyone could point me at one i'd be most appreciative :)

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • I'm no mechanic (and my LBS set them up for me so don't ask me how to do it :) - but I have FSA compact cranks with outboard bearings on both my bikes - 10sp 105 / ultegra on the race bike - 9sp tiagra on the winter / commuter. Both work a treat. Therefore my suggestion would be one of these - available in all guises from £50 alloy to £300+ carbon.
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    What is the best website to pick up some FSA cranks & rings from then?

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • sloxam
    sloxam Posts: 861
    i went compact with fsa mega exo on my allez. crankset and bb were £60 off wiggle. i never changed anything but the crankset and the limit screw on the front mech. worked a treat
    i hate hills (cos i'm fat)

www.justgiving.com/steven-loxam/
  • robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    Parker's have always been spot on for me, and I've put a fair few orders their way over the last year.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    McBain_v1 wrote:
    Do Shimano do an Ultegra compact chainset for 9-spd then?
    I am on the lookout for a Shimano Dura-Ace 10-spd compact chainset but there doesn't seem to be such a beast - if anyone could point me at one i'd be most appreciative :)

Shimano R700 Compact Chainset:
    - R700 HollowTech II compact chainset with 50 / 34 tooth ratio is ideally suited to Dura-Ace and Ultegra groupsets, offering the best of both double and triple
    - 9/10-speed drive chain compatible
    Rich
  • http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/id33890.html £339 full Ultegra 2007 groupset. As an aside they have some cracking Campag groupset deals on at the mo too. Before I get slated I do not and have never had Campag, I have the Ultegra above!!

Just noticed stock levels, HELLO! Call them they may have some anyway!
  • Parkers are knocking the Shimano FCR700 compact chainsets out for less than 100 quid.

http://www.parker-international.co.uk/P ... uctID/4674

They are only 150g heavier than a Dura Ace 53-39 chainset. Great value and will work with both 9 and 10 speed drivetrains. Minimal set up too, you'll probably just need to remove a couple of links from your chain.

Craig